"One of the most livable places in Europe." Top 5 Page for this destination Piran by cachaseiro
Piran Travel Guide: 514 reviews and 1,217 photos
Piran is in my opinion the most attractive coastal town in Slovenia and this is a place i could live in permanently.
It´s an old venetian style town with an old city center and a lively harbour.
Piran is a very venetian style town with old houses and narrow winding streets.
It's set so that the sea is facing it in almost all directions and you always have a seaview within 5 minutes walk.
The town is doing it´s best to limit car traffic and has plans to make it even more car free than it is so that people can stroll around in peace and enjoy the historical buildings without much noise and pollution.
Many people get the impression that the former east block in Europe is full of bigotry and nationalism when it goes sour, but Piran proves that there is more to the story than that.
The vibe is very bohemian and in october 2010 they elected a blak man as their mayor.
You didn´t expect to hear that right? :O)
His name is Peter Bossman and was born in Ghana but lived most of his life in Slovenia and is a very respected doctor there.
But i personally find it really nice that a small provincial town has enough tolerance to vote in a man like that in a country that has less than 300 balck inhabitants.
Thumbs up to Piran for that.
Being so small and so pretty it would be inviting to think that Piran is just a museum town with a few old people and a lot of empty houses bought by foreigners, but because they have several educational institutions there such as a tourism academy and a navigation school, they have a lot of young people that makes sure the town does not fall asleep and you find many sympaphetic young educated freaks in Piran and that is just lovely isen't it :O).
- Pros:Beautiful, tolerant and bohemian.
- Cons:A little expensive.
- In a nutshell:An absolute must if you love good life.
Prvomajski Square used to be the main square in Piran before they filled the harbour up and created Tartini square in... more travel advice
Piranske soline is a small shop on the main square that specialises in salt products which are prodced in the... more travel advice
- See All Arty town.
- See All Bus to and from Portoroz and Lucija.
- great people, good music and free wifi.
- See All Salt.
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Piran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Slovenia with a touch of Venice"
- "One of the most livable places in Europe."
- "PIRAN - the pearl of Slovenian Coast"
- "Piran - Slovenia's coastal jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Piran
- Hotels in Piran
- Transportation in Piran
- Nightlife in Piran
- Restaurants in Piran
- Shopping in Piran
- Warnings and Dangers in Piran
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Piran
- 25 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (168)
Have you been to Piran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Piran
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Euromeet - Post Meet in..."
- Commented on one of artonice's Piran travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "One of the most livable places in Europe."
- updated a Piran Travel Page "One of the most livable places in Europe."
- Wrote a Review Prvomajski Square. about Prvomajski trg/square in Piran Things to Do
Photos in PiranSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 70 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 49 reviews, 90 photos
- Portugal Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vietnam Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambodia Intro, 24 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues