Ponta Delgada Favorite Tips by cachaseiro Top 5 Page for this destination
Ponta Delgada Favorites: 6 reviews and 8 photos
Ponta Delgada pavement.
Favorite thing: Ponta Delgada has some really nice pavements that are quite typical for Portugal.
They did originally originate in Mesopotamia and were brought to Portugal by the moors, but these days it´s considerd an old portugese tradition to use basalt and limestone to pave the sidewalks in this nice manner.
These pavements are not the cheapest or the most practical, but they are sure pretty and let´s hope for the future that they keep this tradition.
The prison in Ponta Delgada.
Favorite thing: In 1834 all religious orders were prohibited in Portugal for a period of a few decades and in that period many monestarys were converted in to various other things and in Ponta Delgada they have a pretty big former monestary that has now become the towns prison.
It´s situated right by the sea and the prisoners surely have a good view from there.
Statue of Goncelo Velho Cabral in Ponta Delgada.
Favorite thing: Goncalo Velho Cabral was the person who made the first settlement in Sao Miguel.
He was a munk from the order of Christ, who under the their leader Henry the navigator set sails to explore the new world.
These days he is honored with a statue on the main square in Ponta Delgada where he stands right in from of the city gate and looks out towards the sea.
Swimming in the harbour in Ponta Delgada.
Favorite thing: Ponta Delgada does not really have much in way of beaches, but they have compensated for that by fencing off part of the harbour and build facilities for swimmers and sun seekers, so you can now safely go for a swim right in the center of the harbour in Ponta Delgada.
Cruise ship in Ponta Delgada harbour.
Favorite thing: Ponta Delgada has a pretty big harbour that is capable of taking in really big ships including cruise ships.
That makes it a natural port of call for cruise ships crossing the Atlantic and a lot of cruise ships stop by Ponta Delgada.
The local tourist information is quite good at dealing with the influx of the many tourists from the ships and they employ quite a few young people to walk around the harbour area and give the visitors advice while the cruise ships are in the harbour.
The harbour is right in the middle of Ponta Delgada so it´s a nice place to dock with a cruise ship as you can easily take a walk around the town by yourself.
More Reviews (17)
- See All Visit the tobacco factory.
- See All Cosy restaurant with good food.
- See All Brilliant 3 star hotel in a good...
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Ponta Delgada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ponta Delgada"
- "Ponta Delgada"
- "Ponta Delgada."
- "Ponta Delgada"
- "Ponta Delgada, the Azores"
- "Streets and Houses"
- "ponta delgada capital of sao miguel dos acores"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ponta Delgada
- Hotels in Ponta Delgada
- Transportation in Ponta Delgada
- Nightlife in Ponta Delgada
- Restaurants in Ponta Delgada
- Shopping in Ponta Delgada
- See All...
Explore the World
- Puerto Banus
- Wolviston Hotels
- Sunny Beach Hotels
- Mount Juliet Hotels
- Sasvad Hotels
Badges & Stats in Ponta Delgada
- 22 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Ponta Delgada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ponta Delgada
Photos in Ponta DelgadaSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 73 reviews, 123 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 41 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 47 reviews, 84 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 42 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 41 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos
- Jordan Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (550)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (10)
Latest Ponta Delgada hotel reviews
- Residencial Sete Cidades
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2012
- Hotel do Colegio
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hotel Marina Atlantico
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Casa Victoriana
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Hotel Talisman
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Lince Azores Great Hotel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- VIP Executive Azores Hotel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Vila Nova Hotel
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Royal Garden
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2012
- Hotel Acores Atlantico
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2011
- Hotel NSL
- 1 Review & Opinion