Ilha de São Miguel Local Custom Tips by cachaseiro Top 5 Page for this destination
Ilha de São Miguel Local Customs: 14 reviews and 37 photos
Street scene on Sao Miguel.
Even if most locals on the Azores drive cars these days then you still have some people who ride horse carts as a mean of transport.
You won´t see many of them, but there are quite a few if you drive around the smaller roads on the island and they sure add to the local street scene in a positive way.
Fishing for squid is both a trade and a local custom in Sao Miguel.
Even if there was no money to be made from it they would be doing it anyway.
They are fishing for squids with lines and you will see the boats out right off the coast as soon as the weather is suitable for it.
When the weather is not good for fishing you will often see the fishermen hanging out by the local cafes waiting impatiently for the weather to get better so they can go out and fish.
this is a trade, but certainly also a big part of the culture in *Sao Miguel.
Statue of a woman wearing a capote.
The Capote was worn by aroran women back in the old days when the islands were highly religious and conservative.
It was kind of a dress where you had the whole body coverd by long robes and the head was coverd by clothes too that was suspended by jaw bones from the whales that they caufht on the island.
The dress was in many ways a bit of an "Azoran Burqua" and it was meant to shield the wealthy women of the island from the hungry eyes of the working class.
These days the capote is no longer worn and the girls are happily wearing tight jeans and walking topless on the beach, but the Capote is still a part of the Azoan identiry.
More Reviews (37)
- See All A saint by the door.
- See All The giant ghost hotel in the clouds.
- Brilliant roadside restaurant.
- See All Sete Cidades.
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Ilha de São Miguel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ilha de São Miguel"
- "Ilha de São Miguel"
- "Very green and diverse island."
- "Açores - The Green Island"
- "A pearl in the Atlantic"
- "The green island"
- "The Azores"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha de São Miguel
- Hotels in Ilha de São Miguel
- Transportation in Ilha de São Miguel
- Restaurants in Ilha de São Miguel
- Shopping in Ilha de São Miguel
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha de São Miguel
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cherating Beach
- Saginaw Hotels
- Lake Koshkonong Hotels
- Hippo Valley Hotels
- Los Barriles Hotels
Badges & Stats in Ilha de São Miguel
- 40 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Ilha de São Miguel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha de São Miguel
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: 9 yrs and counting!"
- Commented on one of TarjaH's Ilha de São Miguel travel pages
- Wrote a Review A saint by the door. in Ilha de São Miguel Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "A saint by the door."
- created a Ilha de São Miguel Travel Page "Very green and diverse island."
Photos in Ilha de São MiguelSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 73 reviews, 123 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 40 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 47 reviews, 84 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 42 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 41 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos
- Jordan Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues