Fåborg Things to Do Tips by cachaseiro
Fåborg Things to Do: 20 reviews and 23 photos
Sundet is a bird reserve and nature area right next to the center of Faaborg.
Back in the day , several centuries ago this was the harbour of Faaborg, but the harbour was moved further out as the boats grew bigger and needed deeper waters.
In 1940 the local goverment decided to dry it our and reclaim the last for agricultural purposes and it was like that for 60 years until the local goverment in the year 2000 decided to return it back to a protected nature area where wildlife could roam.
These days you have nice walking and cycling paths there and it´s a really nice place for a stroææ and is so close to Faaborg that it can be done by foot from the center of town.
The pavillion at the harbour n Faaborg.
At the harbour in Faaborg you have a little garden pavillion that was originally made by a wealthy merchant so that he could sit there with his family and have afternoon tea, or whatever drink he preferred while watching the life at the harbour.
These days it´s part of a museum and is open to the public and the old 19th century building is sitting real nice right by the marina and is a joy to the eye whenever you pass by it.
The clock tower in Faaborg.
The old clock tower is still standing in the center of town, very well preserved and still working.
It has become the symbol of Faaborg and is the first thing you can see if you arrive to Faaborg by boat.
Unlike most clock towers it´s not connected to a church, but it was many years ago, but the church was torn down and now the tower is standing free and purely serves as a clock tower.
It´s from the 14th century and the view from the tower is fantastic and you can see several of the nearby islands from there.
Old sailing boat in the harbour.
Because Faaborg is situated in a protected bay wth a good harbour, it´s a favorite place for old sailing boats to stop while touring around Denmark.
You have old scooners and clippers there almost every day during the summer season and they are damn scenic these old boats.
I find myself walking along the pier very often just to take a look at them.
Directions: next to the ferries.
Vesterport is the old entrance to town.
It used to serve as a gate where people were checked before they enterd town and today it's still standing there very well preserved.
Nice remain from the time where Faaborg was one of the most important trading towns in Scandinavia.
Ymerbrønden is together with the clock tower the most important landmark in Faaborg.
It´s a well that might seem very odd at first sight but it tells the story of the creation of the world in the nordic mythology.
Audhumbla was the name of the cow and it was feeding the giant Ymer with her milk a long long time ago, according to the nordic mythology and therfor the well is formed by a naked man being breast fed by a cow.
Ymer was not a very nice guy though so the good giant Odin killed him and used his body to build the world.
This story is being told here with this sculpture/well that you have standing on the main square in Faaborg.
It was sculptured by local artist Kai nielsen in 1913 and it is actually a replica you see on the main square as the original one has been moved down the road to the local musem where it is better preserved.
Directions: It´s on the main square, right by Hæstrups cafe.
More Reviews (26)
- See All The postoffice is inside one of the...
- See All Damn good coffee at Soze.
- See All Bicycles and fishing.
- See All Go hiking on Øhavsstien.
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Fåborg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nice old seaside town with an arty feel to it."
- "Danish delight"
- "A quiet village off the beaten path in Fyn (Funen)"
- "Many beautiful strawberries"
- "Cosy town by the sea"
- "Jumping in Faborg!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fåborg
- Hotels in Fåborg
- Transportation in Fåborg
- Nightlife in Fåborg
- Restaurants in Fåborg
- Shopping in Fåborg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Miltenberg Hotels
- Ar Rayyan Hotels
- Holycross Hotels
- Hatay Hotels
- Hepburn Springs
Badges & Stats in Fåborg
- 32 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (119)
Have you been to Fåborg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fåborg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Tip Placement"
- Wrote a Review The postoffice is inside one of the supermarkets. in Fåborg Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "The postoffice is inside one of the supermarkets."
- Commented on one of Jumping's Fåborg travel pages
- updated a Fåborg Travel Page "Nice old seaside town with an arty feel to it."
Photos in FåborgSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 73 reviews, 123 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 41 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 47 reviews, 84 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 42 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 41 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos
- Jordan Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues