"The prettiest town i have seen in Brazil so far." Top 5 Page for this destination Ouro Prêto by cachaseiro

Ouro Prêto Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 396 photos

Ouro Preto is a colonial masterpiece that is considerd world heritage by UNESCO and a town that is so full of life due to all the students living there.
The reason why this amazing town was build in the first place was because of all the mines in the area and the town was very wealthy back then and provided enormous amounts of gold, silver and gem stones for the portugese empire.

These days it still stands pretty and does not have as many tourists as most other colonial towns in Brazil because it´s up in the mountains away from the coast and that gives it a really nice vibe and it also means that it is a very safe place for a tourist to be.

A town with a great student vibe.

You would mabye think that a small colonial town up in the mountains far away from the coast would be a dull place, but thanks to the university the town is very lively and has many bohemian bars with a great anarchistic vibe and i had some very nice evenings there.

• Intro Updated Jul 1, 2010

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2016 at 4:06 PM

I've never been to Brazil, but from the pictures I've seen, you may be right. I'd say it's a close contest between this town and Salvador.

Most people would say Rio is the most beautiful, but Rio only has a beautiful setting. The actual town, isn't that pretty.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
      Jan 2, 2016 at 4:35 PM

I personally like the vibe of Rio a lot, but Ouro Preto has it's own really nice vibe too, that is totally different from the rest of Brazil. Salvador is very pretty and used to be my favorite city in Brazil, but it has become a little too touristy in recent years for my liking.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
      Jan 2, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, I like that you said this town isn't very touristy. Doesn't surprise me. I only found out about it, a few months ago. I am also glad to see that there aren't any warning tips about crime. My kind of destination.

I agree, the big cities are nice, but they're way too touristy. I already know I would like the small inland towns better. They have the same colonial look and are far less touristy, but the big coastal towns are also worth visiting.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2011 at 4:18 PM

What a joy to see and read Claus! :o) Love the opening pic! Ann xx

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2011 at 6:31 AM

I love the main page shot - gorgeous! Here's another corner of the world I've never heard of - glad you mentioned it. I wonder what that village is in the distance of the Warnings and Dangers photo?

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Hi Claus, beautiful page!!! I would love to visit here when I get to Brazil one day :-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Ouro Preto looks like a lovely town. If I visit I would defenitly take a ride on the train to Mariana.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2010 at 9:05 AM

It is always nice for me to see such great churches in this part of the world and they even have a great train there !

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Hello, Claus! You visit such picturesque places! ><>< Good for you! ><><><

• betska's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Looks like an interesting place. I like the old train!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Haha Claus - I love this jumping picture - looks like you're having so much fun! Thanks also to whoever took it at such perfect timing :))))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2010 at 4:21 AM

A fine-looking university town! Great that you took that old train to Mariana!

cachaseiro

“my life is a road movie”

Badges & Stats in Ouro Prêto

Have you been to Ouro Prêto?