Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do Tips by cachaseiro
Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do: 1,017 reviews and 2,051 photos
Inside the Saigon Post office.
The Saigon post office is an attraction in itself as it's a really nice old french building from the 1880's that is still kept as a working post office with regular opening hours and all the hustle and bustle that belongs to a real old fashioned post office.
Inside on the end wall you have a big picture of Ho Chi Minh who is overseeing the whole thing and you have some interesting maps of the Saigon area and the Mekong delta on the walls aswell.
You have all the regular postal services inside the post office aswell as ATM's, a toursit information and a few tourist related shops.
Visiting a post office might not seem as the most obvious thing when sightseeing but in Saigon it's well worth the visit.
Address: 2 Cong Xa Paris, District 1
Directions: Right next to the big red cathedral.
The City Hall in Saigon.
The City Hall in Saigon is an old french building that was originally build as a hotel in the early 20th century.
It is standing right next to the famous Rex Hotel smack in the center of town and is one of the prettiest buildings in Saigon in my opinion.
The place is not open to the public so you have to enjoy it from the outside only, but it's nice to do and there is a nice little park in front of it where it's nice to hang out with the locals.
Directions: 2 Blocks away from the Cathedral.
The Bitexco Financial Tower.
The Bitexco Financial Tower is standing 262 meters tall and is the highest building in Vietnam.
It was inagurated in october 2010 and is a top modern office building with a helipad on it so it can take in VIP guests by air so they can avoid getting stuck in the Saigin traffic jams.
It´s smack in the center of Hanoi and has allready become a landmark for the city and i must admit that i quite like it, if nothing else than just for it´s odd shape.
The war remnants museum in Saigon.
the war remnants museum is a museum that is a combination of a display of air crafts from the Vietnam war and a display of many pictures and stories from the Vietnam war that focuses on the american war crimes commited in vietnam.
there are also a couple of prison cells from the war that you can see.
I think a lot of boys of all ages will find all the airplanes and helicopters in the courtyard interesting and if you take your time to ge through all the different pictures and stories inside then you can find some really interesting stories among them.
Some americans will probaply say that it´s too anti american and that might be true, but history is mostly written by the winners of the conflict i guess.
The reunification palace in Saigon.
The reunification palace used to be the presidential palace when Saigon was the capital of south Vietnam.
It´s in my opinion a pretty ugly building and also not the most interesting building to see inside, but there is a lot of history to it, so i still recommend that you pop by there anyway.
The most interesting thing about the palace are actually the two tanks parked outside the palace as they were the two tanks that officially ended the Vietnam war by driving through the gates to the palace.
If you don´t want to pay the entrance to the palace then you can easily see it from the pavement, but entrance fees in Vietnam are small so you might wanna go in there even if it´s not the biggest sight in town.
Catholic church in Saigon.
The main ctholic church in Saigon is right next to the main post office and build in red bricks that were imported from France.
Vietnam has quite a large catholic minority as many vietnamese converted during the time of the french occupation and this church is the biggest catholic church in Saigon.
Be ware that if you are not a catholic coming to worship your religion then you are only allowed to be in the back of the church so that they can pray in peace and i think this rule is very fine.
More Reviews (6)
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saigon Saigon !"
- "IMPREXXION: HO CHI MINH CITY"
- "Former Saigon"
- "Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08"
- "Lost in Saigon!?"
- "Ho Chin Minh City, the new Saigon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
- Transportation in Ho Chi Minh City
- Nightlife in Ho Chi Minh City
- Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
- Shopping in Ho Chi Minh City
- Warnings and Dangers in Ho Chi Minh City
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pieninski Park Narodowy Hotels
- Estado de Querétaro de Arteaga
- State of Madhya Pradesh Hotels
- Cripple Creek Hotels
- Chawton Hotels
Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City
- 12 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 35 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ho Chi Minh City
- Posted in Travel Rio de Janeiro Forum "Re: Carnival 2014"
- Commented on one of heydelin's Ho Chi Minh City tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good hotel in a perfect location."
- Wrote a Review The Saigon post office. about Post Office in Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Ho Chi Minh City
- updated a Ho Chi Minh City Travel Page "The bustling metropol of Vietnam."
Photos in Ho Chi Minh CitySee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 73 reviews, 123 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 40 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 47 reviews, 84 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 42 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portugal Intro, 41 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos
- Jordan Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (550)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (10)
Latest Ho Chi Minh City hotel reviews
- Thang Long Hotel
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Lac Vien Hotel
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- The Landmark
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 26, 2012
- Hoang Hai Long Hotel
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Saigon Mini Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Dong Do Hotel
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2013
- Spring Hotel
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Saigon Comfort Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2012
- Sedona Suites Ho Chi Minh City
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Ha Hien Hotel
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 8, 2013
- Xuan Mai Hotel
- 206 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Cathay Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2009
- Lan Lan Hotel 2
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Ho Sen Hotel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Linh Linh Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 15, 2011
- Ben Thanh Market- 68 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Out of Saigon - Cu Chi Tunnels- 102 Reviews, 221 Photos
- War Remnants Museum- 101 Reviews, 209 Photos
- Mekong Delta- 67 Reviews, 156 Photos
- Reunification Palace- 78 Reviews, 184 Photos
- Notre Dame Cathedral- 74 Reviews, 148 Photos
- Chinatown- 33 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Post Office- 63 Reviews, 138 Photos
- City Hall- 38 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Massages- 6 Reviews, 6 Photos
See All Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do