Ban Phonsavan Things to Do Tips by cachaseiro Top 5 Page for this destination
Ban Phonsavan Things to Do: 31 reviews and 39 photos
The UXO information center in Phonsavan.
The information center for unexploded ordnance (UXO) is a very interesting if schocking place to visit.
It tells the story about the millions of cluster bombs that were droppen in the area during the Vietnam war and still threatens the life of the locals as there are thousands of them still lying around unexploded.
If you ask for it then the guy who runs the place will show you a documentary that tells the story about how the area was bombed and how they are trying to clear the area for boms now.
It's very interesting and a must if you ask me.
Directions: In the main street of Phonsavan.
The plain of jars.
The plain of jars is a very add archeological site in north eat Laos, where you have thousands of huge stone jars lying around.
They are mostly quite large.
Often 2 by 2 meters.
The origin of the stone jars is still not known, but they are believed to be around 2000 years old.
It's still being discussed what they were used for.
Some think they were made for burying dead people, some think they were made to store food or wine in and some have other theories.
One of the reasons why there is so little known about the place is that it was the most heavily bombed place in the Vietnam war and the place still has thousands of unexploded cluster bombs lying around.
The Archeological sites have been cleared though and as long as you stick to the marked paths then you are safe.
More Reviews (4)
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Ban Phonsavan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So much more than the Jars."
- "Plains, Stupas, UXO's and of course Jars too"
- "Gateway to the plain of jars."
- "The wild, wild, wild side....."
- "The Plain of Jars"
- "Phonsavan and Muang Khun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ban Phonsavan
- Hotels in Ban Phonsavan
- Transportation in Ban Phonsavan
- Restaurants in Ban Phonsavan
- Shopping in Ban Phonsavan
- Warnings and Dangers in Ban Phonsavan
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pasadena Hotels
- Lake Bemidji State Park Hotels
- Tecpán Guatemala Hotels
- Joshua Tree National Park Hotels
- Bad Segeberg
- Cobb Island
Badges & Stats in Ban Phonsavan
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Ban Phonsavan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ban Phonsavan
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What is the oddest thing you..."
- Commented on one of planxty's Ban Phonsavan travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good local market right in the center of town."
- Wrote a Review Good local market right in the center of town. in Ban Phonsavan Shopping
- created a Ban Phonsavan Travel Page "Gateway to the plain of jars."
Photos in Ban PhonsavanSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 74 reviews, 125 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 103 photos
- Portugal Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vietnam Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 47 reviews, 84 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jordan Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues