"The last stand of the Khmer Rouge." Pailin by cachaseiro
Pailin Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 7 photos
Pailin is the last town in Cambodia where the old officers of the Khmer rouge, who terrorised and killed almost one theird of the country, still walk around freely and have their last safe haven before justice gets them.
I came there cause i was on a bicycle tour of South East Asia and thought i would try a different border crossing than the more croweded crossing at Poi Pet.
Pailin has a border crossing to Thailand but it´s very little used by westerners as there is very little public transport to there and it´s kinda out of the way in terms of main highways.
My stay in Pailin was in many ways similar to the stay i had in many other cambodian rural towns.
People were laid back and friendly and lived life at a slow pace and i paid very little for a nice hotel room.
if i should mention one difference then it is that Pailin has very little in way of buildings before and after town and that is most likely cause the area is still heavily mined and has not been cleared properly yet.
- Pros:Out of the way.
- Cons:Out of the way.
- In a nutshell:A nice alternative to the Poi Pet border crossing.
When i first came to Pailin i noticed the Ruby guest house right away as it is quite big and on the main road. My forst... more travel advice
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Pailin Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pailin
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Pailin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pailin
Photos in PailinSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 74 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 49 reviews, 90 photos
- Portugal Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vietnam Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambodia Intro, 24 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues