"Not a place for all..." Top 5 Page for this destination Ocean City by dzni

Ocean City Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 202 photos

OC is certainly not the place for everyone, as I learned quickly after arriving for the first time in this popular Atlantic Ocean town on the Maryland Delmarva. I hate to make disparaging remarks about a place, as most every place has its unique qualities that make it special, but Ocean City is like a large carnival stretching for miles along a boardwalk. Of course, perhaps one can relive one's childhood with vendors selling the usual assortment of carnival fare - funnel cakes, french fries, pizza, caramel corn, etc. Most importantly (and something for which I was happy to see) there is salt water taffy, that nectar generally only found in coastal towns such as this. However, the salt water taffy was not quite enough to make up for the abundance of tacky souveneir shops hawking kitschy t-shirts, crab souveneirs, and other sundries.

Ocean City, for the record, sits on an island just off the mainland, connected by a short bridge over a small bay. Crossing the bridge into the town, one is at once confronted with a view of tall condominiums, hotels, apartments, with views of the ocean as well. The island is long, but very narrow (only several blocks wide). A boardwalk runs for a number of miles along the oceanfront beach, where one can watch the multitudes jump into the ocean or try to get a tan. (Of course, while I didn't participate in the ritualistic sunbathing, I managed to burn myself nonetheless by merely walking along the boardwalk and catching the sun's rays coming off the water!) If walking south, one is confronted by a ferris wheel and other amusement park-style rides at the southern tip of the island. If walking north, the shops repeat themselves every so often.

While I don't think I've managed to avoid making disparaging remarks about the island, thus far, I will try to touch upon its positive points. As I mentioned previously, there is salt water taffy and caramel corn! Always a plus! Secondly, excellent crab can be found here, as I will touch upon in the restaurants section! Lastly, OC can hardly be beat for people watching. Ocean City sports an extremely diverse cross-section of America's population, which can only be experienced with a visit!

In conclusion, Ocean City is not for all. If you like a frenetic, carnival-like atmosphere, with the oceanfront only feet away, this could very well be the place for you! For me, once was probably enough (unless I'm going back for crab cakes!).

• Pros:Great seafood, salt water taffy, and opportunities for people watching
  • Cons:Large tourist trap with tacky shops and a carnival-like atmosphere
  • In a nutshell:Not for all!
  • Last visit to Ocean City: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2005

Comments

dzni

“When I`m not traveling, I`d rather be planning the next trip!”

Badges & Stats in Ocean City

Have you been to Ocean City?

Latest Activity in Ocean City