"Waukegan" Waukegan by dzni
Waukegan Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 19 photos
Ah, my old hometown. Ok, Waukegan, especially downtown, is not really such an attractive place (the picture here is flattering), although the lake is always a nice sight. However, it's what's in this whole area, namely Lake County, that makes this place interesting. It's a place many are apt to overlook if they go to Chicago, but I can understand that. Ah... location? Near the Wisconsin border, lying on Lake Michigan. But Waukegan is the birthplace of a couple famous people... Ray Bradbury of science-fiction fame, and of course Jack Benny, the comedian.
So, you have Lake Michigan, and that of course opens up a lot of recreational possibilities in the way of lying on the beach or taking a boat out and fishing. Nearby is Gurnee, IL, which has Gurnee Mills, which is a huge, winding mall. Right next to that is Six Flag Great America. There are also malls in Vernon Hills and shopping all over the place. A bit farther away, toward Buffalo Grove, is Long Grove Historic Village, which is a nice little village that you can walk around in, visiting the little stores. But I think the best part of this region is just the variety of different ethnic foods you can find. Yes, with the influx of hispanics lately, there are lots of Mexican restaurants. But there are also Greek, German, Italian, and the like.
Try the North Shore Bikepath. It goes from Lake Bluff to Kenosha, following the Metra railroad tracks. Actually, the... more travel advice
Just a nice place to stay.. near everything in Gurnee. They have cookies in the evening! :) more travel advice
dzni's Related Pages
Waukegan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waukegan - A North Shore Diamond in the Rough..."
- "Drive-by Waukegan"
- "Drive-Through Waukegan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waukegan
- Hotels in Waukegan
- Nightlife in Waukegan
- Restaurants in Waukegan
- Shopping in Waukegan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waukegan
- 15 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Waukegan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waukegan
Photos in WaukeganSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Louisville Intro, 88 reviews, 12 photos
- Chicago Intro, 30 reviews, 17 photos
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Lafayette Intro, 31 reviews, 9 photos
- Princeton Intro, 33 reviews, 7 photos
- Orlando Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos
- Utah Intro, 22 reviews, 12 photos
- Seattle Intro, 22 reviews, 11 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 19 reviews, 12 photos
- Grand Canyon Intro, 19 reviews, 10 photos
Latest Waukegan hotel reviews
- Courtyard by Marriott Waukegan
- 170 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Residence Inn By Marriott Waukegan
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Ramada Inn Waukegan Gurnee
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Super 8 Waukegan
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Motel6 Waukegan/Gurnee/Great Lakes
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2013