"Salisbury Beach State Reservation" Salisbury by juniperjune

Salisbury Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 21 photos

Salisbury Beach State Reservation

We decided to go camping in the US for my birthday. On the website, there were no pictures of the parks, and we were VERY disappointed with the camping in the area. We wanted to be near the ocean and have access to the local area.
The camping at Salisbury Beach State Reservation was mainly for RV's. The people there were very disrespectful of others, making A LOT of noise all day and night long, dogs barking non stop all day/night, a sewage truck emptying the lines until past 11 pm, and so forth. People have their TVs blaring OUTSIDE of their RV when they are not even there; people even had a TV in their tent and fell asleep with it.
We may be wrong, but this may have been one of those times where a culture clash was the cause. We wanted peace and quiet and we got chaos. Should have know with the area being such a tourist trap!

The camping area

The camping area is all cement, made for RV’s. You are VERY lucky if you have a small, and I mean small tree on your lot. The good thing is that every lot has power and a water spout. As well, the showers are free. That was a nice bonus.
The people working there appeared to have smoked a big fat one. They were slow, out of it and generally and BUZZED.
We were so unhappy with this camping area, on our last night at 10pm, we wanted to pack everything up and leave. However, we had not slept in the last 3 nights due to all the noise in the park and we had a 6 hour drive ahead of us. Not a good idea.

The beach was very clean and the water was not too bad. This was Simon’s first trip to the ocean, so it was all worth it to see him play like a little kid. Me, I could not dive into the waves, as I was 4+ months pregnant.
Walking on the beach in my bikini, I have to tell you I was the smallest one! People, people, lay off the fried food and super sizing! Good lord! Simon gained 6 pounds in 4 days from eating the local food. Ok, we won’t talk about my weight gain, I am pregnant, on vacation in the States and it was my birthday! But it was very sad to see. We tried ordering food that was fresh, not battered and not fried. Their response was that they were all out of the food in question. Hummm…. Like they ever had it in the first place. The food was disgusting in this area, needless to say. The breakfeasts were not edible, the mid priced food was McDonald’s quality and the upper scale restaurants made you want to run to the nearest McDonald’s as they were not edible.
For my birthday we went to an upper scale seafood restaurant. I placed my order and asked if there was any dairy, as I am allergic. I was assured there was not. We waited for 40 minutes (ok if they were a fancy place, service was rude, ignorant and non existent), and when my plate came back, it was smothered in cheese. UHHHH HELLLLO! They remade it and it was swimming in water-like butter sauce. I was gagging.

• Pros:Ocean
  • Cons:Loud parks, tourist trap, bad food, not much to do except eat fried food and sit on the beach
  • In a nutshell:Go somewhere else.
  • Last visit to Salisbury: Aug 2007
  • Intro Written Sep 15, 2007

Comments

juniperjune

“Bring it on!”

Badges & Stats in Salisbury

Have you been to Salisbury?

Latest Activity in Salisbury