"Road Trip to Taranaki." Taranaki by kiwi
Taranaki Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 58 photos
The European settlers named it Mt Egmont, but the local Maori had named it Taranaki. These days we revert to the correct name Taranaki.
This is in fact the second highest volcano in the country at 2518m, and is still expected to erupt at any time. It's classified as being "overdue" for another eruption! It's last eruption of any significant magnitude, was in 1655, so now over 300 yrs later, it could blow again.
Taranaki hasn't really shown any activity for 200 years, though.
They filmed "The Last Samurai" down here in Taranaki. Here's the village set.
Drive up to Dawson Falls Visitors Centre and get a feel of being on the mountain. Naturally it is a volcano, considered... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Taranaki Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Taranaki
- Hotels in Taranaki
- Nightlife in Taranaki
- Restaurants in Taranaki
- Warnings and Dangers in Taranaki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taranaki
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Taranaki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taranaki
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues