"Waikato Region, where I live." Top 5 Page for this destination Waikato by kiwi

Waikato Travel Guide: 305 reviews and 1,239 photos

Middle Earth, New Zealand

The Waikato is the region where I live, and therefore the part of the world I can most easily write about and build pages. I can venture out for hours or minutes with my camera and capture images to share with you and write about.
This region is known as the most fertile and prosperous farming area in New Zealand. Climate is temperate, nice hot summers and it never gets cold enough to snow here. We do get our share of long dull days in the summer with dismal fogs at times. And we get a decent amount of rainfall, but this is why the region is so lush and green.
Take a look at the pages I have built within the region and you will get a good idea of how life is like here.
We are situated between Auckland and Rotorua, and it's not too long a drive to get to a city from anywhere in the Waikato. Enjoy your visit.

Waikato - the Home of Waikato Draught.

The name of our region is immortalised on the cans of beer called Waikato Draught. I guess putting draught into a can is a contradiction, but it is also a sign of the times and a great marketing move.
Seems Waikato and Rugby go hand in hand and it seems fitting that they are both prominent in our region.

Waikato has plenty to do!

We had a mini VT meeting when on a trek in the Kaimai Hills, near Matamata.
Here we are: kiwi, kiwitrekker (x2) and in front, allikat. We are at the lookout on the Wairere Falls walk.

• Pros:We can turn grass into milk more efficiently than anywhere in the world.
  • Cons:The fog, the rain, and being the region that everyone seems to pass through.
  • In a nutshell:A great Green region, steeped in tradition: Rugby, Racing & Beer.
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2011

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:24 AM

Oh so you live most probably close by where Mary Scott had their farm (near Pirongia). Thanks for your insights :-)
    Off to continue reading the book :-)

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Oh yes, it must have!! I looked at the path she described they were taking with the horses when they rode from Piongia to their farm on Google Satellite and it looks completely different than when they lived and rode there.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Oh and welcome :-)) If you come across her books, let me know. I would love to read at least one in the original language. (I'll pick it up when I come one day) Mine are all in German.

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM

'Foggy Waikato' is a very nice picture, very evocative. My husbands family farmed land for a hundred years or so at Whata whata

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM

The Waikato views are stunning! Thanks for stopping by and visiting Leiden through my eyes.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I was attracted to this page. I thought it was a location with much snow, but it's only the intro photo that's not there :) PJ

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 7:55 AM

As usual, great tips and the photos to go along with them. I'd return to this area again but there is so much more to see in NZ! Ann, The Travel Slut

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 3:31 AM

hi' pam. just got a bit curious about the waikato region as i have been talking a lot to two young maori girls from that regoin at the hotel where i work. it looks very nice indeed.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 12:12 PM

World Rally NZ 2006 and WRC 2006 that is a great photo did you take it ??? I think this is a great page on Waikato makes me want to come down for the Spring and rent a kayak

• CyberCroat's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 3:05 AM

After you posted on Cro forum I stopped by. Quite a travelogue you have. Hope turning grass into milk still goes well in Waikato...

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 3:46 PM

Soooo....where's this hill we're gonna go zorbing down? Nice pics of your farm, Pam

• shelnlin's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 11:23 PM

Great to see your side of the Waikato Pam, I hope that you are having a lovely Easter break. Cheers, Shell ;-)

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Waikato

Have you been to Waikato?

Latest Activity in Waikato