"COROMANDEL PENINSULAR - I Visit regularly." Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel by kiwi
Coromandel Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 580 photos
This page is about Coromandel Peninsular, not Coromandel township.
Situated Sth East of Auckland, on the East Coast of NZ, it is driving distance for those who wish to escape the city hussle and bussle.
Coromandel Peninsula is sometimes grouped in the Waikato Region of NZ. There are no formal boundaries, so different organisations seem to use different boundaries. Sometimes also, I have seen it listed as in the "Hauraki" region. VT has Coromandel listed on it's own, making it relatively easy to find.
Coromandel has an interesting and long (well long, for NZ standards) history. Early inhabitants were the ancient Moa Hunters and also some of the original maoris who arrived on the big canoe the "Arawa".
Later, in 1769, James Cook arrived and came in to view the planet Mercury transit across the sun. Hereby giving the name Mercury Bay. Cooks reports of the great Kauri trees led to the timber boom as Europeans arrived to mill these big tall strong trees for ship spars.
The Royal Naval ship "Coromandel" gave it's name to the peninsular.
I have made a separate page about Whangamata please take a look to see more of the beauty of this great region.
Please also scroll down and click on my Cathedral Cove travelogue to view this gorgeous corner of the world.
There are many beaches on the Peninsular. This is Hahei Beach which is a popular hideaway for farmers from nearby Waikato region.
This beach derives it's name from the longest known maoris in the area, the Ngati Hei.
Whangamata Beach has so many activities to persue. Sailing, Surfing, Wakeboarding, Skiing, Surfskiing, Swimming, Kite Boarding, the list is endless.
- Pros:The beauty is in the bush and coastline, and it's remoteness which is not too distant.
- Cons:Not all amentities within easy reach, and the hot dry conditions at times.
- In a nutshell:A special corner of New Zealand that should not be missed.
The Pinnacles is a very popular and interesting bush trek on the Coromandel Peninsular. You can stay overnight or make a... more travel advice
The Coromandel Peninsular is a great place for a nice sunny day motorcyle ride. The roads are really good but most of... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Coromandel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Coromandel Penninsula"
- "Coromandel - A peninsula to see"
- "COROMANDEL PENINSULAR - I Visit regularly."
- ".... little New Zealand ...."
- "CATHEDRAL COVE, COROMANDEL PENINSULAR."
- "Pohutukawas, Tree Ferns and White Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coromandel
- Hotels in Coromandel
- Transportation in Coromandel
- Nightlife in Coromandel
- Restaurants in Coromandel
- Shopping in Coromandel
- Warnings and Dangers in Coromandel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coromandel
- 50 Reviews
- 154 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Coromandel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coromandel
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Can not upload photos....."
- updated a Coromandel Travel Page "COROMANDEL PENINSULAR - I Visit regularly."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Peninsular coastline"
- Commented on one of allikat's Coromandel travel pages
- Wrote a Review Bush trek to the Pinnacles. in Coromandel Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues