"New Zealand's South Island." South Island by kiwi
South Island Travel Guide: 5,969 reviews and 15,835 photos
Welcome to the South Island. I was born down here, although I haven't grown up here. But something, only a South Islander can know, something draws me back time and again. I just love this part of Paradise!!
It's rather amusing to find some of the names down in the South Island. Capt James Cook, one of the early mappers of this country, seemed to delight in naming places after the event. For example we have Doubtful Sound - he declared he wouldn't sail his sailing ship in this harbour as it was 'doubtful' he would be able to sail out again. And we have Cape Foulwind and Cape Farewell, where he sailed away from. His other tendency was to use the names of the men on his ship, eg Banks Peninsular, Pickersgill Harbour and many others.
The South Island is almost like a different world to the North Island. More mountains, wilder weather, more snow, bigger expanses, higher mountains, less people. Ah, so very different. Some say it's more beautiful, but that is in the eyes of the beholder. Not everyone is into mountains.
The area known as Te Wahipounamu (South Westland) has been granted WORLD HERITAGE status, which is very honourable, and means it is to be protected for coming generations.
You can read more about how this works here.
In recent years the South Island has become reknown amongst young travellers for it's adventure sports. Probably the most prominent and well advertised of these is the sport of Bungy Jumping. I have done this once in my life, here in the photo.
Other sports include Jet Boating, Trekking, Horse Riding, Fly by wire, Skiing, Skydiving, Paragliding and so on. Plenty for you to do in the South Island of New Zealand.
- Pros:The mountain scenery, the remoteness.
- Cons:It can be cold, and you can be a long way from facilities.
- In a nutshell:You haven't seen New Zealand unless you visit the South.
If you like some very nice art with a New Zealand theme, you should stop bye here if you are in Central Otago. Featured... more travel advice
Be sure to get into the mountain range, that is the backbone of the South Island. This is known as the Southern Alps. more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
South Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fabulous scenery, the friendliest people"
- "Two Summer trips to South Island, New Zealand"
- "New Zealand - South Island"
- "The South Island"
- "The driest, hottest, wettest and coldest places"
- "South Island, New Zealand"
- "New Zealand's South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Island
- Hotels in South Island
- Transportation in South Island
- Nightlife in South Island
- Restaurants in South Island
- Shopping in South Island
- Warnings and Dangers in South Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Island
- 181 Reviews
- 807 Photos
- 340 Forum posts
- 30 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to South Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Island
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: avoiding loss of typed forum..."
- Commented on one of Martialsk's South Island travel pages
- updated a South Island Travelogue "Flying over southern lakes"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Flying over southern lakes"
- Uploaded a Video to South Island
- Wrote a Review High Class Art to buy in South Island Shopping
Videos in South IslandSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (307)
Top South Island hotels
- Queenstown Hotels
- 630 Reviews - 1671 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1239 Reviews - 2600 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 338 Reviews - 786 Photos
- Hanmer Springs Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 104 Photos
- Cromwell Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 53 Photos
- Timaru Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 140 Photos
- Akaroa Hotels
- 246 Reviews - 582 Photos
- Te Anau Hotels
- 109 Reviews - 317 Photos
- Hokitika Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 195 Photos
- Blenheim Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Greymouth Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 89 Photos
- Picton Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 192 Photos
- Kaikoura Hotels
- 205 Reviews - 668 Photos
- Invercargill Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Nelson Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 182 Photos