New Zealand Tourist Trap Tips by kiwi Top 5 Page for this destination
New Zealand Tourist Traps: 61 reviews and 51 photos
Weka checking out my bag.
If you are out in our bush and see one of these little darlings, NO it is not a "short-beaked" kiwi as one traveller told me! These are called Wekas and although similar in appearance to the Kiwi, that they are not. Besides the Weka is out and about during daylight hours, and the Kiwi is nocturnal.
Wekas are very cheaky and like to steal from your pack, hoping for food. However it is not only food they take, equipment especially shiney stuff, they cart off too. they are quite strong. So keep a good eye on your gear, even your boots!
Our native parrot the Kea, steals too, but so does this little Weka fella :-))
Take A Plate.
If ever, during your travels, you are invited to a local function, you will be very happy I’m sure. But if the invitation includes the words “bring a plate” you need to understand it’s meaning. This is a local term, and means bring a plate of food. Please don’t be embarrassed as has often happened, when visitors from overseas arrive with an empty plate. It is not meaning that the host doesn’t have enough plates and you need to bring your own, it means that the food offered will be from a shared source and everyone coming should bring one item. Often a salad, or cold meat, or a dessert, or selection of breads etc. All the food is put together on a table and then everyone can select from there what they wish to eat. The theory behind this is if everyone brings enough food for one person to eat, then there should be enough on the table, if you see what I mean.
It’s an old tradition here in New Zealand, but can often catch the visitor out when they don’t know it’s true meaning.
Unique Suggestions: Take some food, doesn't have to specifically be on a plate. Can be supermarket prepared dishes.
Fun Alternatives: Normally travellers, with limited ability to be prepared, are not expected to take anything to a function or dinner.
You have to send excess baggage home before you depart, if you are over your limit. You will be charged a LOT of money if you expect to fly with escess baggage. As you see, it's as high as $25/kg to some parts of the world.
Unique Suggestions: Call the airline before your day of departure to try to arrange some extra baggage allowance.
Fun Alternatives: Freight home a bag of stuff so you aren't overweight when you turn up at the airport for your flight.
Just take care when you want to buy bottled water. There are brands now, marketing water that has flavouring and sugars in, and claiming to be energy drinks.
Some of it looks just like water, clear and lovely.
Unique Suggestions: Read the label to see if there are any additives in the so-called Water.
Fun Alternatives: Water is fine, our New Zealand water is particularly pure and wonderful to drink. Just make sure you are buying water.
More Reviews (83)
- See All Canoe Regatta
- See All Free Wifi around NZ
- See All Camping on Side of Road
- See All Nakedbus.com Cheapest travel around NZ.
- See All Visit White Island an active volcano.
- See All Beer unique to New Zealand
- Nightglow of balloons
- See All B & B between Auckland and Rotorua
- See All Bungy Jump at the home of all Bungy!!
- See All The ladies' Bra Fence.
- See All Between Hamilton and Rotorua
- Respect the Sun's Powers at all times!
kiwi's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- "New Zealand from the North to the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 616 Reviews
- 2,400 Photos
- 1,831 Forum posts
- 81 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: How do I unfollow a place?"
- Commented on one of kaitangsou's New Zealand tips
- updated a New Zealand Travel Page "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- Commented on the New Zealand Warnings and Dangers travel guide
- Wrote a Review Canoe Regatta in New Zealand Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to New Zealand
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kakapo - very very rare parrot"
Videos in New ZealandSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 34 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 118 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (321)
- Auckland- 53 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Northland- 31 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Bay of Islands- 22 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Wellington- 19 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Rotorua- 41 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Adventure Activities- 37 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Christchurch- 19 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Fiordland National Park- 23 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Kaikoura- 19 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Coromandel Peninsular- 12 Reviews, 33 Photos
See All New Zealand Things to Do