New Zealand Things to Do Tips by kiwi Top 5 Page for this destination
New Zealand Things to Do: 1,193 reviews and 1,684 photos
Your view when you passenger in a glider.
GLIDING TRIAL FLIGHT.
Enjoy the exhiliration of flight without the noise and vibrations of an engine. A truly worthwhile experience, and you can easily take photos out the canopy of the lovely terrain below. Once you have released from the towplane, flight becomes vibration and noise free and you are up there with the birds!! Having no engine is a real plus, as you will see :-)
Check the GlidingMatamata website and view thru the webcam on their homepage.
*THIS IS CONVENIENTLY LOCATED BETWEEN AUCKLAND AND ROTORUA*
Trial flights cost $NZD120; $180 & $300 as at 2013.
They fly Sat/Sun and Wednesdays, and public holidays.
Address: P.O.Box 100, Matamata.
Directions: Matamata Airfield located at Waharoa, just north of Matamata on State highway 27. This is about 160km southeast of Auckland. En route to Rotorua.
Other Contact: www.gliding.co.nz
Phone: 64 - 7 - 888 5972
Vter on Mt Tongariro with Mt Ngauruhoe in behind.
South of Lake Taupo, in the Alpine region of Tongariro National Park, there is a reknown and exhilirating One Day walk, called the "Tongariro Alpine Crossing". So named because you are trekking on Mt Tongariro and traverse the expanse and levels of the many craters that remain there today.
Many times this walk has been written up as One of the Finest One Day Walks. Judge for yourself, but remember to respect and heed the weather advice , and honour the mountain that can change in minutes.
For more details and for more photos, go to my page here.
(Be sure to scoll down on that page and view the linked travelogues which hold more worthwhile photos.)
You will need adequate clothing and protection for this walk, it's not just a mere 'walk in the park'. Each year, almost, people have to be rescued or even die as a result in the weather turning bad.
Directions: Tongariro National Park via a small town called "National Park".
Middle of the North Island on the Volcanic Plateau.
Phone: +64 7 892 3729
VT on the Kepler Track
If you enjoy hiking and have a reasonable level of fitness and agility, you may like some of our walking tracks. This one, The Kepler 60kms, is in the very scenic area known as Fiordland National Park. You can trek either direction, and it returns to the same point of finish/start. I recommend travelling to Luxmore Hut first and then to Iris Burn hut, not the other way. This means you traverse the tricky and steep staircase in the alpine section, going downhill not uphill.
You go through a really nice variety of terrain ranging from Beech forest to alpine ridgetops to river valleys and lake fronts. All isolated places made more easily accessible by this great track.
You can view my photos and report on my Kepler page.
Address: Dept of Conservation, Lakefront Drive, Te Anau, NZ
Directions: Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre, on the lake front at Te Anau.
Other Contact: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
White Island Tours base.
A very enjoyable and popular day trip is to take the ferry out to White Island, an active volcano. These trips leave from the Bay of Plenty coastal town of Whakatane. You can also get tours out of Rotorua if you ask at your hotel or accommodation.
This is a unique opportunity to get close to volcanic activity and learn about this particular volcano. The ferry trip out takes around 80 mins and is very pleasant especially in fine weather. You are given refreshments along the way and hopefully will see some dolphins swimming along side the boat.
Address: 15 The Strand East, Whakatane.
Directions: The eastern end of town, on the waterfront road.
Other Contact: from NZ free 0800 733529
Well you really must see a Kiwi while in New Zealand. There are just a few places to do this. I am a New Zealander and I have never seen one in the wild, mostly because they are nocturnal and are only found in fairly thick bush, where I don't go.
I have been on bush camps and heard them at night, but never seen any.
I will compile a list of places to see a kiwi, so you can maybe plan your itinerary to include this.
Auckland Zoo - Auckland.
Rainbow Springs - Rotorua
The Kiwi House - Otorohanga
Mt Bruce national wildlife bird sanctuary - Wairarapa.
Kiwi & Birdlife Park - Queenstown
And I believe you can take tours on Stewart Island during the nightfall to see kiwis grazing on the coast naturally. I'll try to find out a link for you for this one.
Try some of the regional beers for something "local".
This photo shows the tap beers available at the Cardrona Hotel on the Crown Range Road between Queenstown and Wanaka.
Speights beers began in this region but have spread countrywide in recent years.
Tamaki Maori Village
Visit the TAMAKI MAORI VILLAGE, in the Rotorua region to view traditional Maori life.
Taste food cooked the traditional village way.
The village is set in lovely natural bush, very authentic and well presented.
Summer: Departures 5:00pm, 6:00pm and 7:00pm.
Winter: Departures 5:00pm and/or 7.00pm.
There is a Tamaki Maori Village also, in Christchurch, South Island.
Address: P.O. Box 1492, Rotorua, North Island, NZ
Directions: Meet in downtown Rotorua at the Tamaki Trading Post and you will be taken to the village by bus. You can also arrange to be collected from your accommodation.
Other Contact: email: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 346 2823
Riding the river rapids.
Try surfing the wave on the Waikato River with RAPIDS JET. Jetboating with a difference, very exhilirating. Speed up and down the rapids, through narrow canyons and sensational white water.
Address: Rapids Road, Aratiatia, Taupo.
Directions: 14 minutes north of Taupo.
Phone: 0800 RAPIDS
More Reviews (77)
- See All Canoe Regatta
- See All Free Wifi around NZ
- See All Camping on Side of Road
- See All Nakedbus.com Cheapest travel around NZ.
- See All Beer unique to New Zealand
- See All No such thing as a short-beaked kiwi.
- See All B & B between Auckland and Rotorua
- See All Bungy Jump at the home of all Bungy!!
- See All The ladies' Bra Fence.
- See All Between Hamilton and Rotorua
- Respect the Sun's Powers at all times!
Been to New Zealand?Share your travels with the world!
kiwi's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- "New Zealand from the North to the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 621 Reviews
- 2,432 Photos
- 1,891 Forum posts
- 83 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Lets play famous people and..."
- updated a New Zealand Travel Page "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- Commented on one of kiwi's New Zealand travel pages
- Commented on the New Zealand Warnings and Dangers travel guide
- Wrote a Review Canoe Regatta in New Zealand Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kakapo - very very rare parrot"
Videos in New ZealandSee All Videos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 85 reviews, 186 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 21 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (322)
- Queenstown- 30 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Canterbury- 35 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Northland- 31 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Auckland- 53 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Bay of Islands- 22 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Coromandel Peninsular- 12 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Wellington- 19 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Rotorua- 41 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Fiordland National Park- 23 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Adventure Activities- 37 Reviews, 62 Photos
See All New Zealand Things to Do