"VENICE BEACH, CALIFORNIA." Top 5 Page for this destination Venice by kiwi

Venice Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 333 photos

Cycle path and Walkway next to the Beach.

Venice Beach is an interesting mix of people and facilities. The Beach itself is wide, gorgeous white sand and the lovely Pacific Ocean lapping at the edge.
The road side of the Beach has, what seems like, miles of small shops catering to the tourist, selling t-shirts and souveniers, not too expensive. Along the shops is the Walkway, extending the length of the Beach.
Then on the Beach side of the walkway is the Cycle track, well utilised by people ambling along on bikes, enjoying the sunshine.

The Unusual.

There is a mix of sights to be seen on Venice. This guy had snakes and was busking for money. They see you take photos and loudly tell you to leave a tip so they can feed their family. Later I saw his snakes curled up on the grass, as he performed other "tricks", and they looked decidedly dead to me. I took my photo, paid my $1 and moved on.

Venice Canals.

Venice is not all beach and bikes, you can see some lovely small canals with nice houses nestled alongside.

• Pros:Cheap t-shirts and not too bad items to buy. Nice beach too!
  • Cons:Lots of people, lots of sorts of people. Bit overdone.
  • In a nutshell:Always bustling, Always alive, never dull.
  • Last visit to Venice: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2003

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Do you miss it here? - sometimes I do but everyone tells me it is not as I remember it. Grazie for the lovely tour, Pam. Ciao bella, Carol <(•¿•)>

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Pam, Mayhem and madness?-you are being kind-muscle beach and all the near-nude strutters can be a bit off-putting. Interesting take on one of our SoCal crazier places. Not for the faint-hearted. The property values would shock you, too! Doug

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2006 at 10:45 PM

Well I didn't know there was more than one Venice? Even got a canal with a little bridge just like the other Venice haha! Fancy That!! Enjoyed rummaging through your pages Pam :o) Cheers, Ann.

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 2:05 PM

Very nice Venice page Pam! Considering how beautiful your NZ beaches are, I agree with Deecat. You are indeed a "diplomat". Funny you saw a cafe with a pic of Clinton, like the one we saw in that Cafe in Parnell ,eh? Take Care, Nancy

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2004 at 5:44 AM

Thanks for the peek at Venice. Bet the sand is like baking powder.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2004 at 5:18 AM

Pam, you are such a "diplomat"..I agree with Jim E. that it is a "freakshow" of sorts. I just hope that people from other countries do not judge the USA by Venice Beach. You've done great restaurants and super photos as well as informative text.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2004 at 1:24 AM

Canals. So that is why it is called Venice!

• scrooge1947's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2003 at 11:05 AM

LA is one place that my kids have been to as well as us, but Venice Beach they also visited , and we didnt, looks like we should have.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2003 at 8:58 PM

Venice beach is one of a kind freak show. I love to get here whenever I am in LA.

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2003 at 7:37 PM

nice to meet you. :-)

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Venice