"I went there once, to Florida." Florida by kiwi
Florida Travel Guide: 21,656 reviews and 47,750 photos
These cops I spotted in Orlando. Kinda cute huh!
Yes, I went there once, and I plan to go there again, one day.....
It was 1975, and I was a travelling teen. A long time ago, but nevertheless I went there.
So this is my little story of way back then. Lots will have changed, but who said these pages have to be uptodate? I mean your trip to timbuktu is obsolete the moment you get home.......
Here's my story:
I had heard so much about the sunsets/sunrises down the Florida Keys. So I was in the USA and decided to see it for myself. Travelling on a Greyhound Bus Ameripass, I had been making a habit of catching a nite bus out of town changing wherever at midnite and coming back to town after a nice comfortable sleep. Saved on accommodation costs and seemed quite safe back then. So, in order to see the sunset, I had to travel at the end of the day and I just figured I could do the same and catch the midnite bus back north from Key West.
The drive down the Keys was amazing. The road just hopped from one small island to another and was a series of bridges linked together. It felt a bit like we were driving out further and further into the sea and I wasn’t entirely comfortable with that. After all we were in a bus, not a ship!! The sunset was suitably impressive and evoked feelings that previously I had been too young to realise. I was beginning to see the beauty in nature rather than things commercialised. My trusty little camera brought home only one photo of this beauty, apparently the operator was too taken with the sight to think about snapping more.
When I arrived at the Key West Greyhound station I discovered that there was no scheduled bus back up the Keys!! This was devastating as I didn’t feel too happy about being stuck late at night with no place to stay. And I had heard a little bit about the life in Key West on the street!!
Fortunately for me the driver, who was in fact driving an empty bus back to Miami, offered to take me back. I am eternally thankful to this man as I realise he put his job on the line to do this. I also was aware I would end up on a bus alone with a (strange) man. I took the risk as I didn’t have a whole lot of options. Eventually I couldn’t hold back any longer and drifted off into a very deep sleep stretched out on two front seats. I was woken later by the driver as we stopped for some food somewhere. I don’t remember where, there can’t be a whole lot of places up that road.
When we got to Miami, he took the bus to the garage, and not the station. After clicking my Ameripass ticket he dropped me at his car and checked in the bus. Then he drove me around to the bus station so I could sit there till morning as he knew there was a security guard and that I would be safe.
I was a kid from New Zealand and enjoyed the ride in his pristeen shiney Cadillac that we only saw on tv back home.
That guy I will never forget, I’ll never be able to repay nor thank him, but I will never forget him. That’s the true spirit of travel!
For current views of this wonderful State visit my friend tropicdiver's page. He takes the most amazing photos I know, and his captures will really show you what Florida can be like through the lens of a camera.
- Pros:Amazing sunsets, sea and alligators!!
- Cons:Very flat contours, no hills to be seen!
- In a nutshell:There's so much to see here.
kiwi's Related Pages
Florida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Sunny Florida"
- "FLORIDA THEME PARKS FUN - LIFES A BEACH"
- "Rich Tapestry of Sand, Wetlands, & Forests"
- "Come to the Sunshine State"
- "Finding Florida, Today and the Way It Was"
- "Jefie's first visit to Southwest Florida!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florida
- Hotels in Florida
- Transportation in Florida
- Nightlife in Florida
- Restaurants in Florida
- Shopping in Florida
- Warnings and Dangers in Florida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florida
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Florida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florida
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 34 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 118 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues