"DOUBTFUL SOUND - FIORDLAND, NEW ZEALAND" Doubtful Sound by kiwi
Doubtful Sound Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 65 photos
This is the classic view of Doubtful Sound taken from the rest area of the Wilmot Pass near the summit of the road. You get the idea from this view, of how at one time, a massive glacier cut it's swathe through this valley.
An interesting part of history is that for many years, a passenger liner was moored right here at Deep Cove, to house the hundreds of workers who were building the underground power station on Manapouri. This involved not only building the powerhouse that you see when you cross Lake Manapouri, but also the huge tunnels to take the water down thru the rocks to Doubtful Sound. The Wilmot Pass, which we now cross to get to Doubtful, was built to carry the workers from the ship to the worksite. For many years it was known as the road to nowhere because you couldn't access it by road. Vehicles were brought in by ferry, across the lake, and left at West Arm. Now the powerstation is running and relatively hidden, and the ship has gone, and Doubtful Sound is returned to the silence of Fiordland.
Dusk and Sunset on the sounds is so very magical. You feel the isolation and seclusion even more, for some reason. It becomes very quiet and the birds retire for the evening, and just the water lapping on the side of the boat remind you of where you are. This could be called the bottom of the world in so many ways.
kiwi's Related Pages
Doubtful Sound Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Doubtful Sound"
- "The Majestic Doubtful Sound"
- "Doubtful Sound"
- "DOUBTFUL SOUND - FIORDLAND, NEW ZEALAND"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Doubtful Sound
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Doubtful Sound?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doubtful Sound
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 114 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues