"KAKADU NATIONAL PARK - WORLD HERITAGE STATUS" Kakadu National Park by kiwi
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 991 photos
KAKADU NATIONAL PARK is situated at the Top End of Australia in the Northern Territory. It's cultural and natural qualities are so significal that Kakadu has UNESCO World Heritage status. Almost 20000 sq kms in size making it Australia's largest national park, it is administered by both Aboriginal Traditional landowners and Australian Govt National Parks board. Aboriginal inhabitants have lived here for over 50,000 years and this is one of the few places they can continue living the traditional way, with spiritual links to the land. There is a wealth of culture here, and we were lucky to see some examples such as the photo here.
In the Kakadu National Park, and to the Nth East of Mary River Roadhouse, is the amazing Koolpin Gorge known locally as Jarrangbarnmi. Located in the Gunlom Area, you need 4WD vehicles to get here and a permit. A great place for walking and birdwatching, also swimming if the pool has been cleared. You can only get in her during the dry season. When we went we were first visitors after the rangers had been and prepared it for the season. I really enjoyed my time here exploring, and even braved a swim with my friends. Some of us got bitten rather badly though. We enjoyed sitting around the creek banks after a rather exciting tramp in over the rocks and boulders. Getting out was a bit easier as we followed a different track.
The entrance to Kakadu National Park on the road from Darwin to Jabiru is nicely marked with a "gateway". Great place to stop for photos.
- Pros:Amazing culture, and land to see.
- Cons:Hot, dusty, crocodiles.
- In a nutshell:A unique part of the planet and of course the saltware crocs.
Some remote locations have Emergency Radios for times of real need. These are an absolute thrill to see when you need... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kakadu and Arnhem Land with "VT Survivor""
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "VT Darwin Survivor Outback Trip 2008"
- "Magnificent Wetlands - Birdlife, Crocodiles"
- "Kakadu National Park - Australia's Best"
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "Kakadu National Park - A Special Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kakadu National Park
- Hotels in Kakadu National Park
- Transportation in Kakadu National Park
- Restaurants in Kakadu National Park
- Shopping in Kakadu National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kakadu National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kakadu National Park
- 3 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Kakadu National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kakadu National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: do you have milk vending..."
- updated a Kakadu National Park Travel Page "KAKADU NATIONAL PARK - WORLD HERITAGE STATUS"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Kakadu National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "KAKADU NATIONAL PARK - WORLD HERITAGE STATUS"
- Uploaded a Video to Kakadu National Park
- Wrote a Review How to Use Emergency Radios in Kakadu National Park Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 85 reviews, 186 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 21 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues