"Oamaru and It's White Stone." Top 5 Page for this destination Oamaru by kiwi
Oamaru Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 98 photos
New Zealand towns are not steeped in history in general. But Oamaru is one of the few where history is apparent. Mostly famous for it's white stone buildings, Oamaru was developed during the mid 19th Century boon. The surrounding prosperous rural area supported the town and life was bustling back then.
Now some of the buildings and especially the old business area of the town have been restored and returned to authentic condition.
The whitestone buildings of Oamaru had their stone taken from this quarry. Stone has been used from here since the 19th Century and is famous for it's pure creamy white colour and texture, and for it's nice handling factors. Not only do they cut buildling blocks, but many scultors like to use Oamaru stone for their work.
- In a nutshell:The coastal town you drive thru with all the whitestone buildings.
It's worth taking the bus up to the lookout, especially if the weather is nice. You can see all up the coast, and over... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Oamaru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Architecture & Historical"
- "Oamaru, Penguin Country..."
- "Penquins and Stone"
- "Oamaru and It's White Stone."
- "Amazing Oamaru"
- "Please be patient with this Page..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oamaru
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Oamaru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oamaru
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues