"Our tallest mountain, Mt Cook." Mount Cook by kiwi

Mount Cook Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 146 photos

Gorgeous Region.

Dec 2003: I have to make a mention here, that if you have plans to climb Mt Cook, please please research and make sure you are qualified to do it. Another thing is to be sure to check with authorities, and let them know what your plans are.
Two ill-prepared climbers have just been airlifted off the mountain, causing the sixth rescue here in the last week. Sadly 4 climbers were killed during that time. Most of these rescues were of foreign climbers, which brings me to my warning. New Zealand is unique in it's terrain and it's weather phenomena. It is essential you have a very good understanding of what is possible to occur here. And be sure to register your intentions and prepare yourself adequately.
I hope the rest of this season is without any more fatalities.
Happy climbing! But for me, I prefer to visit with my camera and keep my distance.
Feb 2004 update - even more have been in trouble this summer and another visiting climber has been killed. The beauty is deceiving, the danger is always there.

Surrounds.

As you can see here, Mt Cook has lovely surroundings with valleys, rivers and glaciers.
This photo was taken by a friend from a glider.

• Pros:Just simply gorgeous!
  • Cons:Danger is always lurking for climbers. Weather can change very quickly!
  • In a nutshell:Our tallest mountain, with beauty and grace.
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2013

• besal's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Actually, its big cuz is in Pakistan..K2. I beleive the movie vertical limits was shot here.

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 6:48 PM

It's much like our Mount Robson, except Robson is a bit taller, and a very difficult climb, even though you can drive to within 5 miles of its base. Happy hiking!!!

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2003 at 1:38 PM

I've got plans to see that mountain in 2005. Lucky for me, mountains don't move much so Mt. Cook here I come!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2003 at 3:40 AM

Oh, I'll get to the top of that one day. No, not the white one, the little dark one off to the right. ;) Looks like a lovely spring down there, Pam

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Mount Cook

Have you been to Mount Cook?

Latest Activity in Mount Cook