"Our tallest mountain, Mt Cook." Mount Cook by kiwi
Mount Cook Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 146 photos
Dec 2003: I have to make a mention here, that if you have plans to climb Mt Cook, please please research and make sure you are qualified to do it. Another thing is to be sure to check with authorities, and let them know what your plans are.
Two ill-prepared climbers have just been airlifted off the mountain, causing the sixth rescue here in the last week. Sadly 4 climbers were killed during that time. Most of these rescues were of foreign climbers, which brings me to my warning. New Zealand is unique in it's terrain and it's weather phenomena. It is essential you have a very good understanding of what is possible to occur here. And be sure to register your intentions and prepare yourself adequately.
I hope the rest of this season is without any more fatalities.
Happy climbing! But for me, I prefer to visit with my camera and keep my distance.
Feb 2004 update - even more have been in trouble this summer and another visiting climber has been killed. The beauty is deceiving, the danger is always there.
As you can see here, Mt Cook has lovely surroundings with valleys, rivers and glaciers.
This photo was taken by a friend from a glider.
- Pros:Just simply gorgeous!
- Cons:Danger is always lurking for climbers. Weather can change very quickly!
- In a nutshell:Our tallest mountain, with beauty and grace.
kiwi's Related Pages
Mount Cook Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mount Cook National Park - Breathtaking Mountains"
- "MOUNT COOK AREA IS IMPRESSIVE"
- "Mackenzie Country"
- "Mount Cook"
- "Following Sir Edmund Hillary is not easy"
- "Mt. Cook - A Must See?"
- "MT COOK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Cook
- Hotels in Mount Cook
- Transportation in Mount Cook
- Restaurants in Mount Cook
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Cook
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Cook
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Mount Cook?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Cook
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues