Queen Charlotte Sound Things to Do Tips by kiwi
Queen Charlotte Sound Things to Do: 2 reviews and 8 photos
Ship's Cove, Queen Charlotte Sound, Marlborough NZ
If you plan to walk the Queen Charlotte Track, the best option is to catch the Water Taxi out to Ship Cove and head back to Picton from there. The Track is somewhere between 67 - 71 kms long, depending on the exact route that you take. Walking this direction is best because the Water Taxi will collect your heavy bags each morning and take them on to the next accommodation, leaving you only a daypack to carry. Very civilised :-)
If you travel the track in the reverse order, then there is no ferry service for bags.
Motuara Island, Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand.
You can get the chance to visit this bird sanctuary, Motuara Island. Visit with licensed guides, and you can walk in the lovely bush, enjoy the super views of Cook Strait, and listen to the happy birds. Thankfully it is predator free, allowing some of our bird species to exist in peace. These include Blue Penguins, South Island Saddlebacks , bellbirds, robins and native pigeons. Some of these are rare.
The island has a chequered history, having been farmed for two generations, but finally established as a scenic and historic reserve in 1912. The regrowth after years of being cleared, is a testimony to the supporters of the island, which was originally depicted in drawings, by Captain Cook on his 1769 voyage.
www.naturetours.co.nz is a company run by marine biologists, who ensure your guides and commentary are well informed and give you the best opportunities for the day of your visit.
Other Contact: 0800 WILDLIFE (945 354 33)
Phone: 03 5738040
More Reviews (19)
- Take the right track.
- See All Camping on the Queen Charlotte Track
- See All Keep to the Track.
- See All Unbearable smell.
kiwi's Related Pages
Queen Charlotte Sound Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Queen Charlotte Track."
- "A Little Piece of Paradise"
- "Queen Charlotte Sound"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Queen Charlotte Sound
- Hotels in Queen Charlotte Sound
- Transportation in Queen Charlotte Sound
- Shopping in Queen Charlotte Sound
- Warnings and Dangers in Queen Charlotte Sound
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ghana Town Hotels
- Hardeeville Hotels
- Binsar Hotels
- Isle of Man
- Greenland Hotels
Badges & Stats in Queen Charlotte Sound
- 21 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Queen Charlotte Sound?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Queen Charlotte Sound
Photos in Queen Charlotte SoundSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues