"The Queen Charlotte Track." Queen Charlotte Sound by kiwi

Queen Charlotte Sound Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 103 photos

I'll write about walking the Track here 2006.

February 2006 and along with my husband and 5 other friends, we walked the 71 kms of the Queen Charlotte Track, and kayaked for a whole day to get back to civilisation. This was one of the most enjoyable walks for me, probably because the Water Taxi took our large bags from lodge to lodge each morning, and we only walked with daypacks. Also we had nice beds, hot showers, and good cooking facilities each night, more civilised than the basic shelter huts of other walking tracks in New Zealand. I am accustomed to doing "Freedom Walking" which is unguided and basic huts. These other tracks I speak of, some of them do have guided and comfy huts, if you are prepared to pay a lot of money. Here on Queen Charlotte, we Freedom Walked but also had the comfortable accommodation, which of course we did pay for. Nice all the same.

Every direction is another gorgeous view!

Life seems pretty idyllic in the Marlborough Sounds. This is a typical late night scene, and one I find quite magical. The sun sets quite late here in the summer time.

• Pros:Gorgeous scenery, wide track, lovely lodges to sleep at night.
  • Cons:Not as warm as I expected, and plenty of hills.
  • In a nutshell:Not quite a Walk in the Park, but near to it. Most comfortable track in NZ.
  • Last visit to Queen Charlotte Sound: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2006

• V.T.FLAG's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Hi. I have 4 done now....

• nezz's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Pam , what a wonderful looking place. Sandra

• Court94403's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Beautiful Photos, will be back to check out more pages.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Superb photo's, Pam. And really lovely tips. I wet-wiped my eyes for laughter at some of them. Did the kiwi steal your lense? hahaha! Thanks for the b-day wishes!

• chbuchie's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2007 at 12:30 AM

we've beaten the best team in the world, that does not change , not even after a victory, but I hope us French are still welcome to see the Lord of the Rings scenery -- what did you think of the answer on the Haka ?

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Hi Pam, have enjoyed my tour thanks!

• terps94's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2006 at 5:45 PM

yeah . Im back in the US for a month then I go on my deployment next month.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2006 at 9:29 PM

Great "sunset in the sounds" pic. I've alway wanted to visit New Zealand. Thanks for stopping by my Monterey page. Joe

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2006 at 4:35 AM

Wonderful page. New Zealand is such a beautiful country. Greetings from Poland

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2006 at 12:17 PM

Gosh, memories! I spent 20 wonderful years at Lochmara Lodge, Double Cove every Christmas month with my parents. Resolution Bay, Endeavour Inlet, The Portage I know them all very well. I learnt to row a boat/fish there aged four !!

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Queen Charlotte Sound

Have you been to Queen Charlotte Sound?