"The Queen Charlotte Track." Queen Charlotte Sound by kiwi
Queen Charlotte Sound Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 103 photos
February 2006 and along with my husband and 5 other friends, we walked the 71 kms of the Queen Charlotte Track, and kayaked for a whole day to get back to civilisation. This was one of the most enjoyable walks for me, probably because the Water Taxi took our large bags from lodge to lodge each morning, and we only walked with daypacks. Also we had nice beds, hot showers, and good cooking facilities each night, more civilised than the basic shelter huts of other walking tracks in New Zealand. I am accustomed to doing "Freedom Walking" which is unguided and basic huts. These other tracks I speak of, some of them do have guided and comfy huts, if you are prepared to pay a lot of money. Here on Queen Charlotte, we Freedom Walked but also had the comfortable accommodation, which of course we did pay for. Nice all the same.
Life seems pretty idyllic in the Marlborough Sounds. This is a typical late night scene, and one I find quite magical. The sun sets quite late here in the summer time.
- Pros:Gorgeous scenery, wide track, lovely lodges to sleep at night.
- Cons:Not as warm as I expected, and plenty of hills.
- In a nutshell:Not quite a Walk in the Park, but near to it. Most comfortable track in NZ.
There are a few places, while walking the Queen Charlotte Track, where you really need to pay attention and read the... more travel advice
Just be sure, when walking any or all of the sections of the Queen Charlotte Track, that at times you traverse private... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Queen Charlotte Sound Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Queen Charlotte Track."
- "A Little Piece of Paradise"
- "Queen Charlotte Sound"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Queen Charlotte Sound
- Hotels in Queen Charlotte Sound
- Transportation in Queen Charlotte Sound
- Shopping in Queen Charlotte Sound
- Warnings and Dangers in Queen Charlotte Sound
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Queen Charlotte Sound
- 21 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Queen Charlotte Sound?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Queen Charlotte Sound
Photos in Queen Charlotte SoundSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues