"Rotorua, main tourist attraction in North Island." Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua by kiwi
Rotorua Travel Guide: 484 reviews and 1,224 photos
Rotorua is an attractive city, on the edge of a lake, with plenty of thermal activity and in the background you can see Mt Tarawera, full of character and intrigue with Maori folklore.
As well as being the tourist hub of NZ, Rotorua is the centre of our large forrestry industry.
One of the main attractions of Rotorua is the rich Maori culture and there's plenty here to be found. Be sure to take advantage of the array of opportunities (tours, in other words) to see this cultural experience.
Another of the main attractions is the thermal activity natural to this area. Again there are many tours and opportunities to view this phenomenon.
A lot of the activities in Rotorua cost quite a lot to visit. So after a day or two, it can end up costing a lot of money. I can give you some small tips on a few freebies, that may help you save a few dollars.
There is a small pond of boiling mud right beside the road, opposite the entrance to Te Puia. Drive south west from that entrance and before you get to the intersection with Old Taupo Road, on the right hand side, there is a pulloff bay beside the road. You can park there, and right beside you is a pool of hot mud behind the fence. Be sure to remain behind the fence, as the ground here is unstable and falling into the hot mud would surely bring about your demise. Great for seeing it close up and for free! And you can get really good photos of the "plopping" mud.
Geysers and steam
You can see free geysers and steam, and maybe some more boiling mud, at the central Kuirau Park. This can be accessed via Lake Road or Ranolf Street, near Rotorua Hospital to the west of the downtown area. It's very close to the Lake frontage. Degree of pressure changes daily so it's not guaranteed to see a guyser, but there is certainly plenty of volcanic activity to see here.
Again you must respect the barriers, as these earth cavities carry boiling water and will kill you if you fall in.
- Pros:Amazing natural phenomena and the Maori culture.
- Cons:Rotten egg smell of the sulphur.
- In a nutshell:The tourist centre for Maori culture and Volcanic activity.
Wingspan is a very interesting bird recovery and education centre that specialises in Birds of Prey. Injured birds are... more travel advice
The historic marae at Ohinemutu also provides an opportunity to visit the Maori War Memorial on the lake's edge. This is... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Rotorua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Roto-Vegas!"
- "Clean Steam - Smell Hell - Culture Capital"
- "Rotorua, main tourist attraction in North Island."
- "Maori Culture"
- "Rotorua: between sulphur smell and maori culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotorua
- Hotels in Rotorua
- Transportation in Rotorua
- Nightlife in Rotorua
- Restaurants in Rotorua
- Shopping in Rotorua
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotorua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotorua
- 15 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Rotorua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotorua
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Glitch????"
- Commented on the Princes Gate Hotel Rotorua, Rotorua travel guide
- Wrote a Review Wingspan Birds of Prey Centre about Wingspan Birds of Prey Centre in Rotorua Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wingspan Birds of Prey Centre"
- updated a Rotorua Travel Page "Rotorua, main tourist attraction in North Island."
- Commented on one of Assenczo's Rotorua travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues