"Whakapapa on Mt Ruapehu" Whakapapa by kiwi
Whakapapa Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 31 photos
Iwikau village is the startpoint for ski runs and chairlifts on the Whakapapa side of Mt Ruapehu. Weather can get pretty cold at times. But snow is snow!
Most of the year you can drive to Whakapapa village, by car. Only severe weather will stop you getting this far. Of course that does happen.
Whakapapa is the small community and service village located around The Chateau, an iconic large hotel. Most of the inhabitants are skifield and hotel staff, and then of course the patrons of the accommodation facilities.
To get further up the mountain to the skifields, depends on the weather conditions. Sometimes you can drive your 2wd drive car up there, but often it is closed to all except 4wd and 2wd cars with chains on the wheels. Icey conditions make the road from Whakapapa to Iwikau very treacherous. The road is known as The Bruce Road and the end turning point is "Top of the Bruce".
There are a few parking areas, the earlier you arrive the closer to the facilities you can park. On a busy day you will be stopped from driving up, if the parks are full.
But of course you can still get transport up on the Mountain Shuttles.
There is a mountain taxi available to go to mountain lodges further up the mountain. Very good service really.
kiwi's Related Pages
Whakapapa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ruapehu - Where Adventure Begins"
- "Tongariro National Park - Skiing at Whakapapa"
- "New Zealand Skiing"
- "Whakapapa on Mt Ruapehu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whakapapa
- Hotels in Whakapapa
- Transportation in Whakapapa
- Warnings and Dangers in Whakapapa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whakapapa
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Whakapapa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whakapapa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 34 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 118 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues