"Trek up to the Crater Lake" Mount Ruapehu by kiwi
Mount Ruapehu Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 28 photos
8.15pm 25 Sept 2007 Mt Ruapehu has an unexpected moderate eruption with two or three lahars, not causing too much damage. School holidays saw many groups staying in lodges on the mountain, thankfully no one there was injured. However two climbers sleeping in a hut near the summit were pummeled by rocks and hot water, etc, one of them quite seriously injured. As at 27 Sept the alert remains at Level 2. Ski lifts re-opened, with just one T-bar still closed.
There are two main skifields on Mt Ruapehu. The western side is accessible via Whakapapa Village, Hwy 48.
Another skifield is on the southern side, via Ohakune, and is called Turoa Skifield. This is on Hwy 49.
During the summer there is not much snow around, if any. But walking on what snow there is there, is easier that walking on the rock, so take full advantage of natures "tracks".
During the winter months this Dome Shelter is covered and almost buried in snow.
Dome Shelter was badly damaged in the 2007 eruption and has been rebuilt.
- Pros:Stunning views.
- Cons:It's only 10 years since the last big eruption.
- In a nutshell:A very large volcano that has a mind of it's own!
On the Western side of Mt Ruapehu, you can drive quite a long way up the mountain from Whakapapa. It's a good road, but... more travel advice
As often happens in locations where there are a lot of people, I found the food to be poorly presented. My nachos were... more travel advice
Written Sep 26, 2012
2012 Ruapehu stormy visit
Written Sep 25, 2012
2012 Ruapehu sunny days
kiwi's Related Pages
Mount Ruapehu Travel Guide
- Hotels in Mount Ruapehu
- Transportation in Mount Ruapehu
- Restaurants in Mount Ruapehu
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Ruapehu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Ruapehu
- 4 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Mount Ruapehu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Ruapehu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 114 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues