"MATAMATA" Top 5 Page for this destination Matamata by kiwi
Matamata Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 131 photos
My local town of Matamata. This region is reknown for its rich green pastures and lovely green hues. It is here, where the most efficient conversion is performed of grass to milk!! The cows never have time indoors, they remain in the fields all year round.
Matamata the name is a Maori word and closely translates to "headland", referring to many years ago being surrounded by the Waitoa River and swampland. Back in 1830 when Maori Chief Te Waharoa built his Matamata Pa (fortress/village). I suppose you could say the building of the Railway station in 1885 was the birth of the town of Matamata. The population is difficult to state, but is around 6000 in town with a further 4-5000 in surrounding rural areas. A true heartland Waikato town that services a far wider area.
Be sure to view my travelogues to find out more about things around and about, such as the Opal Hot Springs.
Matamata was the host town to the filming of part of the movie trilogy, Lord of the Rings. The area was perfect for Tolkien's Shire of Middle Earth. So Hobbiton was built here and the town of Hobbits was formed.
Wairere Falls sit nestled in the lovely Kaimai Range to the East of Matamata town. There is a walking track to climb up to the falls, which is a pleasant mid-range afternoon or morning walk. You can walk to the base of the falls, and see them from the same viewpoint as this photo. That is roughly 80 mins return to the carpark. Or you can take the longer walk to the top of the falls and view over the top to the Bay of Plenty.
- Pros:Only 2 hours from Auckland and 45 mins from the coast.
- Cons:Too far from the coast. Foggy in the winter.
- In a nutshell:Central and handy to access many interesting towns.
For a short walk in the bush, going up to see the Wairere Falls is a pleasant experience. You can be up to the base of... more travel advice
Delightful country museum in lovely garden settings, attractive to both adults and children. $5 adults, $1 children,... more travel advice
Written Aug 23, 2004
Bush Walk to Wairere Falls
Written Mar 17, 2012
Opal Hot Springs
kiwi's Related Pages
Matamata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Matamata-------LOTR Country"
- "Matamata - Home to Hobbiton"
- "Matamata - Home of the Hobbits!"
- "Matamata- Hobbiton"
- "As green as it gets!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matamata
- Hotels in Matamata
- Transportation in Matamata
- Shopping in Matamata
- Warnings and Dangers in Matamata
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Matamata
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Matamata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matamata
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Reviewing and clearing messages"
- updated a Matamata Travel Page "MATAMATA"
- Commented on one of kiwi's Matamata travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "MATAMATA"
- Commented on the Matamata travel guide
- Wrote a Review Walk up to the waterfall. in Matamata Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 34 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 118 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues