"COLLIOURE" Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure by kiwi
Collioure Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 257 photos
Our visit to Collioure was very unexpected. We planned to spend time in Provence, however our hosts decided to take us for a few days to family in the Pyrenees, hence our added visit to Collioure. We knew it would be special because it was our French friends’ chosen place to show us.
Situated on the coast, between Perpignan and Spain, Collioure can be found easily and before the winding more difficult coastal road south. I was spell bound by the catalan fishing boats and other craft as well.
This is an old village, quite unchanged for centuries, which provided inspiration for paintings by both Henri Matisse and Andre Derain. Surrounded by hot dry hills, this town is an idyllic gem on the Mediterranean. Somehow time has stood still here and no luxury hotels to stay, but more studios to rent.
I once read of Collioure: "It seems to have been overlooked, and still conforms to one's romantic idea of what living or holidaying on the Mediterranean could be like if one was not a millionaire."
It is a town where you still find more French visitors than foreign people. I can imagine that the French would want to keep it as their own special secret!!!
Check out the lovely old images on this site! http://www.jtosti.com/collioure.html/
- Pros:So much history and romance about this place.
- In a nutshell:Where time stood still!!
History abounds in this town, and from various different eras. On the North end of the town harbour is the 17th century... more travel advice
Even the Cinema is situated in traditional rock buildings. This is on the edge of a maze of small streets and shops... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Collioure Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Collioure -Jewel of the Vermeille Coast"
- "Collioure ... un site ravissant et unique !"
- " Collioure "
- "Collioure - Art and the ocean"
- "The Bay...of Collioure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Collioure
- Hotels in Collioure
- Transportation in Collioure
- Restaurants in Collioure
- Shopping in Collioure
- Warnings and Dangers in Collioure
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Collioure
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Collioure?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Collioure
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 114 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues