"COLLIOURE" Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure by kiwi

Collioure Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 252 photos

Idyllic Unchanged Mediterranean Village.

Our visit to Collioure was very unexpected. We planned to spend time in Provence, however our hosts decided to take us for a few days to family in the Pyrenees, hence our added visit to Collioure. We knew it would be special because it was our French friends’ chosen place to show us.
Situated on the coast, between Perpignan and Spain, Collioure can be found easily and before the winding more difficult coastal road south. I was spell bound by the catalan fishing boats and other craft as well.

This is an old village, quite unchanged for centuries, which provided inspiration for paintings by both Henri Matisse and Andre Derain. Surrounded by hot dry hills, this town is an idyllic gem on the Mediterranean. Somehow time has stood still here and no luxury hotels to stay, but more studios to rent.

I once read of Collioure: "It seems to have been overlooked, and still conforms to one's romantic idea of what living or holidaying on the Mediterranean could be like if one was not a millionaire."
[NZListener 9Nov2002]
It is a town where you still find more French visitors than foreign people. I can imagine that the French would want to keep it as their own special secret!!!

Check out the lovely old images on this site! http://www.jtosti.com/collioure.html/

• Pros:So much history and romance about this place.
  • In a nutshell:Where time stood still!!
  • Last visit to Collioure: Jun 2002
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2012

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Nice tips, thanks for sharing

• Aug 15, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Love your photos of Collioure. Spending a week there in Oct. I am sure we will enjoy it very much.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 6:02 AM

14 March days in Collioure, little evidence of an expat community. Based in a village house, the main pleasure was village shops, & restaurants where only French is spoken. NO All Day English Breakfasts or Sunday Roasts here - thank goodness!

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 3:35 AM

French secret village !!! looks really charming love the top photo intro page so relaxing looking

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2006 at 1:25 PM

2005 this lovely village has sadly deteriorated to a tourist-overladen "wanna buy a house here" -area...... I think half of the population are now either German or English ----- quelle malheure!!! :O

• Jun 21, 2004 at 7:26 AM

Chhhh... don't speak too loud. ; )

• maritagnes's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2004 at 10:46 AM

Your page captures exactly what charmed me so much with Collioure - we'll be going there next June!

• Donnylass's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2004 at 3:10 AM

I never got to Collioure when I visited this area - but I wish I had - it looks lovely

• prleprle's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2003 at 3:53 AM

Really charming and romantic place. Something like a lost treasure that is hard to find.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2003 at 11:36 AM

Collioure is one of my favourite places in that region. Next time, I'll visit the Fiat bambina restaurant!

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Collioure

Have you been to Collioure?

Latest Activity in Collioure