"WAIHI" Waihi by kiwi
Waihi Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 16 photos
Waihi is an interesting small town with a history of gold mining, being in it's prime around 1909, at one point being one of the world's richest mines!
With a history of labour struggles even back then, the situation now is no real stranger. The town still has a working goldmine, but a lot of the population find employment hard to get.
Fortunately they love their town and have tidied up the mainstreet and it looks very smart.
The streetscape has been modernised to include tributes to the miners who were such a part of the towns history. This statue depicts a miner with a piece of quartz, and is very handsome in the main street.
The town has survived on the gold mine and related industry.
- In a nutshell:Struggling to survive in wake of gold mine era.
kiwi's Related Pages
Waihi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gold Mining in Waihi"
- "Start Digging there's gold to be found!!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waihi
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Waihi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waihi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 85 reviews, 186 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 21 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues