"Mauao/Mt Maunganui, Bay of Plenty" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui by kiwi
Mount Maunganui Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 158 photos
Mount Maunganui is another of New Zealand's many volcanoes. Commonly referred to by locals as "The Mount" it is a very popular spot, and is a prominent landmark of the region.
Known as "Mauao" which translates as 'Caught by the dawn', it stands 232metres ASL. There are walking tracks both around the Mount and to the summit. From there you have wonderful views of the Bay of Plenty islands and both up and down the coast. On a clear day, you can see the plume of smoke from the active volcano, White Island.
The Mount has a small central shopping precinct, on the main inland street, as well as cafés and surf shops along the ocean beach frontage.
The harbour side provides safe and pleasant swimming for children, and the ocean side has a very popular and good surf beach.
Fires over past years have been a problem and native plant growth is being encouraged to protect the mountain. As you see the growth has a "cloak" appearance and the sheep keep the lower slopes free, to prevent fires and to keep archaelogical sites clear.
Here you can see the isthmus that forms the town of Mt Maunganui and the lovely long beach with the coastal surf. The protected harbour side has lovely calm, safe beaches and is great for kids and activities such as learning to ride a sailboard.
East from Mt Maungaui beach, the next stop is South America!!! so beware surfers!!! It's a long way away......
I was fortunate enough to go flying in a warbird, thats how I took this photo.
Some apartments, those adorable Norfolk Pine trees, the lovely beach and the lava rocks at the base of Mt Maunganui.
The town of Mt Mauganui has a permanent population of around 18,000 however during summer months this increases a lot.
- Pros:The beach, the People, the Mountain, the Ocean.
- Cons:Not enough space for the people in summer.
- In a nutshell:A volcano, a surf beach, harbour beach and some metropolis.
A new comer to the area, in 2012, this is a delightful addition to the Mount dining options. We were a group of eight... more travel advice
Hot Saltwater Pools I love to go here, especially at night, and soak in the naturally heated salt water pools. Set... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Mount Maunganui Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mauao/Mt Maunganui, Bay of Plenty"
- "MOUNT MAUNGANUI....MAGNIFICENT!!!"
- "Mount Maunganui - A Great Beach Resort!"
- "Mount up and Head Out!"
- "Mount Maunganui North Island"
- "Christmas 2005 New Zealand"
- "Bay of Plenty - an interesting region to visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Maunganui
- Hotels in Mount Maunganui
- Transportation in Mount Maunganui
- Restaurants in Mount Maunganui
- Shopping in Mount Maunganui
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Maunganui
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Maunganui
- 19 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Mount Maunganui?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Maunganui
Photos in Mount MaunganuiSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues