Tauranga Things to Do Tips by kiwi Top 5 Page for this destination
Tauranga Things to Do: 3 reviews and 7 photos
Waimarino Adventure Park and Adventure Tours were our hosts and guides for this amazing tour. There's always something satisfying and adventurous with an activity where you have input into your own enjoyment. In this case, it was kayaking, and therefore paddling oneself. In our case we had a dull rainy wet but mild evening. In many ways this added to the atmosphere and indeed allowed the glow worms to appear very bright and impressive.
Having a couple of guides allowed us to go somewhere we would not normally venture alone.
Waimarino have an adventure park and base in Bethlehem, a town not far out of Tauranga. This kayak tour involves a van ride into the hills, to McLaren Falls Park, to Lake McLaren and the glow worm rocks. McLaren Falls Park is a very pretty place in itself.
Here, lakeside, you enjoy fruit and cheese platters, with nice local wine to meet the other participants, and to await the nightfall. You are kitted out in kayak gear, and instructed on procedures for the coming adventure. Our two guides made us feel happy, confident and excited. These guys were passionate about what they were doing, and amazingly knowledgable on the life cycle of the glowworms !
We set off, paddling up the lake, in the warm drizzling rain blindly following our guides' headlights.
The kayaks were very stable and we felt safe, not being very experienced at this.
Near the head of the lake, we found an old power station, and a swift neck in the waterflow, so the guides rafted us up and actually towed us in 4's past this point. That in itself was some feat, making us realise these guys were in fact superhuman!
Once past that point, and by this time very dark, we blindly followed their lights up into the narrow neck of the feeling river of the lake. Here we found a canyon where the glow worms lived. Recent high water levels meant the lower glow worms were gone, but the ones still left on the rock faces were just stunning. As I said earlier, having cloud cover and rain just meant the glow worms seemed brighter and really easy to see once your eyes had acclimatised to the dark.
The guides gave us a very detailed, knowledgable and interesting talk about glowworms.
We thoroughly enjoyed and recommend this adventure.
- - - -
Refreshments and glow worm kayak trip $120 each
Seated Dinner lakeside and glow worm kayak trip $170 each
Buoyancy and weather protection gear provided.
**glowworm photo provided by waimarino.com for use here**
Address: 36 Taniwha Place Bethlehem Tauranga 3172
Phone: 07 576 4233
More Reviews (4)
kiwi's Related Pages
Tauranga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tauranga, in the Bay of Plenty."
- "Tauranga - The Large Seaport to the East"
- "Cool place"
- "Mount Maunganui"
- "Bay of Plenty - Kiwi Fruit Country."
- "Malaysian food in Tauranga"
- "My Place Of Birth."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tauranga
- Hotels in Tauranga
- Transportation in Tauranga
- Nightlife in Tauranga
- Restaurants in Tauranga
- Shopping in Tauranga
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dewey Beach Hotels
- Big Sur
- Durango Hotels
- Avonmouth Hotels
- Cabo Rojo Hotels
Badges & Stats in Tauranga
- 5 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Tauranga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tauranga
Photos in TaurangaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (307)
Latest Tauranga hotel reviews
- Best Western Summit Motor Lodge Tauranga
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- The Sebel Trinity Wharf Tauranga
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Best Western Cameron Road Motel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel On Devonport
- 167 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Puriri Park Boutique Hotel Tauranga
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Strand Motel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2013
- Durham Motor Inn Tauranga
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013