"AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS" Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland by kiwi
Auckland Travel Guide: 1,102 reviews and 2,463 photos
AUCKLAND, Ah AUCKLAND!!!
You'll probably arrive by air. But for me, I drive in from the south, and it slowly comes into view as I drive over the Bombay Hills. I see the Skytower on the horizon, it marks the central city....I see the expanse of residential suburbs......
I SEE AUCKLAND, I LOVE IT!!
As I drive along the Southern Motorway, closer in to town, I look for the landmark that makes my heart pound - One Tree Hill. For those who know, just after you round "TipTop Corner" there it comes in to view on the horizon. Looking decidedly sad now that it has no tree. For the uninitiated, if you own the CD "Joshua Tree" put out by Irish band U2, then listen to the track named One Tree Hill.
Coming to the city for me, is a little like going overseas. But then you landlocked countries won't know what "going overseas" feels like, not living on an Island Nation at the bottom of the globe.
I see aircraft, rising out of Mangere International.......
That makes me feel a little excited but sad that I'm not flying to distant shores this visit........one day!
Auckland is the largest populated area of New Zealand. The greater city is situated on an isthmus and is boarded by the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea.
They say Auckland is the only city in the world built on an active volcano field. Don't expect to see steaming peaks here though. You can, however, see a fine display about all this in the Auckland Museum, in Parnell near the central city.
The Skytower features on the skyline and during the night is lit, here in Blue to support the local rugby team.
Skytower houses a Hotel, Casino and Theatres and the central bus station.
Auckland city reaches down to meet the harbour and this area is very pleasant and vibrant with boats a big part of city life.
Here in this photo, you get to see the city and Skytower from the air, I was in an old DC-3 aircraft.
- Pros:The climate, the sea, the boats, the beauty!!
- Cons:Well I guess there are too many people, and traffic is terrible!
- In a nutshell:The largest city of New Zealand, and for some the nicest.
I booked a family group at this hotel, to attend a nearby function. It was easy to find, driving in from the South, on... more travel advice
This place is quite near the International Airport Terminals, even walking distance. You can see Butterflies and... more travel advice
- See All Long Term Car Parking at Auckland...
- Caution while crossing the Harbour...
- See All Quality Arts at Auckland Airport
- Old wooden villas.
Written May 9, 2016
Written May 9, 2016
Britomart Centre, Auckland City.
kiwi's Related Pages
Auckland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Auckland"
- "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- "Auckland - City of Sails."
- "Auckland - City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland
- Hotels in Auckland
- Transportation in Auckland
- Nightlife in Auckland
- Restaurants in Auckland
- Shopping in Auckland
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland
- 46 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 231 Forum posts
- 66 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Auckland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Top members."
- updated a Auckland Travel Page "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- Wrote a Review Nice alternative to downtown in Auckland Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nice alternative to downtown"
- Commented on one of Lozza_9's Auckland tips
- Commented on the Auckland Shopping travel guide
Photos in AucklandSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 85 reviews, 186 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 21 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues