"AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS" Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland by kiwi

Auckland Travel Guide: 1,045 reviews and 2,313 photos

AUCKLAND, Ah AUCKLAND!!!

You'll probably arrive by air. But for me, I drive in from the south, and it slowly comes into view as I drive over the Bombay Hills. I see the Skytower on the horizon, it marks the central city....I see the expanse of residential suburbs......
I SEE AUCKLAND, I LOVE IT!!
As I drive along the Southern Motorway, closer in to town, I look for the landmark that makes my heart pound - One Tree Hill. For those who know, just after you round "TipTop Corner" there it comes in to view on the horizon. Looking decidedly sad now that it has no tree. For the uninitiated, if you own the CD "Joshua Tree" put out by Irish band U2, then listen to the track named One Tree Hill.
Coming to the city for me, is a little like going overseas. But then you landlocked countries won't know what "going overseas" feels like, not living on an Island Nation at the bottom of the globe.
I see aircraft, rising out of Mangere International.......
That makes me feel a little excited but sad that I'm not flying to distant shores this visit........one day!

Auckland is the largest populated area of New Zealand. The greater city is situated on an isthmus and is boarded by the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea.

They say Auckland is the only city in the world built on an active volcano field. Don't expect to see steaming peaks here though. You can, however, see a fine display about all this in the Auckland Museum, in Parnell near the central city.

Skytower

The Skytower features on the skyline and during the night is lit, here in Blue to support the local rugby team.
Skytower houses a Hotel, Casino and Theatres and the central bus station.

Auckland city reaches down to meet the harbour and this area is very pleasant and vibrant with boats a big part of city life.
Here in this photo, you get to see the city and Skytower from the air, I was in an old DC-3 aircraft.

• Pros:The climate, the sea, the boats, the beauty!!
  • Cons:Well I guess there are too many people, and traffic is terrible!
  • In a nutshell:The largest city of New Zealand, and for some the nicest.
  • Last visit to Auckland: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2011

• proud_auckland's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2011 at 5:22 PM

yeah auckland great, thats why i live in the amazing city. would highly recommend visiting or living here.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Orbit Restaurant looks great - I can imagine the spectacular sunsets.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Thanks ever so much for such a lovely page. Enjoyed your insights, great photographs, and narratives, especially George, Orbit, Breadwinner, Portside restaurants, Minus 5 Bar, Jew34ly Store, Wintergarden, and Auckland Art Gallery.

• norain's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Nice page. Thanks for info.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Of course! Silly me! Yes-deposit paid. Flights are booked. AND I'm planning on heading out your way in 2009-probably late January for 3 weeks. Hoping I can cover the main sights in that time-can't commit to more annual leave. Gillybob greetings

• Nov 19, 2007 at 9:26 AM

thanks a lot Pam for the suggestions and pics! I´m looking into moving to parnell and this has definitely encouraged me to do so :-)

• yellowbell's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2007 at 8:19 PM

Thanks for the tips Pam. I might go there for my honeymoon, Jan. of next year. Free city circuit bus is interesting just like the free city circle tram of Melbourne.

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Checking your tips for my visit. See yah next week.

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Really nice pics and very good information!;)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Well One Tree Hill's very special to me as i used to live just below it!!went up quite often. used to live with a dear Greataunt (when i was based with my travelling job!!)prior to that we used to go thru auck via onehunga as kids so.... thx4 lovely pics!

kiwi Visits Here Frequently!

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Auckland

Have you been to Auckland?

Latest Activity in Auckland