"CHRISTCHURCH" Christchurch by kiwi

Christchurch Travel Guide: 1,248 reviews and 2,643 photos

***22 February 2011 The city of Christchurch was hit by a 6.3 earthquake and much of the CBD has been destroyed, including the Cathedral in the square. Some of this area is still inaccessible to the general public. It could be like this for some time. Life goes on, however, and the strong spirited people are determined to not let Christchurch die. They welcome visitors and hope people return to help bring life back.

Christchurch is the biggest city in the South Island. It has a distinctly English flavour having been established by English settlers many years ago.
This Millenium Challice was far bigger than I ever imagined, having only seen photos previously!!

Christchurch from the air.

As you can see, Christchurch city is very flat, but there are hills to the south and west of the city. And of course it's coastal with the Pacific Ocean being a very big influence.

• In a nutshell:A lovely character filled southern city.
  • Last visit to Christchurch: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 25, 2011

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

On the way to Antarctica I did not have time to visit New Zealand, to my greatest disappointment! It is one of my dream countries! I saw destroyed Christchurch and the Antarctica Center... Nice page!

• kiwi's Profile Photo
      Feb 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I hope one day you get to return. We will welcome you :-)

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 1:55 AM

Thanks for the tips... we are headed over to Crusader Country this week!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 12:15 AM

Soon be there - en route to Wanaka and the warbirds. I agree with you about the Antarctic Centre - definitely worth a visit! leyle

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 1:28 AM

Christchurch looks interesting: unfortunately our stay was restricted to changing aircraft, so we saw nothing. There's always next time, and this page gives some good leads. Thanks, Pam.

• civilian's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2005 at 10:46 AM

Hy there nice to see that john britton is honoured on VT. It was a real pice of art, a shame he passed away ( unfortunaly it seems that his cancer was caused by the materials he used) rgs christof

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2005 at 3:23 PM

Great pictures and tips. The Antartic centre may be as close as I get.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2004 at 7:23 PM

I've heard the Antarctic Centre is not worht seeing, so thanks for your point of view - guess I'll have to check it out for myself. Is that pic from the centre? Good motel tip too Pam!

• jide08's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2003 at 2:32 AM

Didn't know you could see seals in Christchurch. Didn't know about John Britten. Good tip.

• europebn's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2003 at 8:03 AM

Good job, can't wait to go there!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2003 at 4:18 AM

This is lovely stuff.

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Christchurch

Have you been to Christchurch?

Latest Activity in Christchurch