"The town on the peninsular." Coromandel by kiwi
Coromandel Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 68 photos
Most visitors to Coromandel Peninsular don't get to visit Coromandel town. Travelling in this region is slow and you need spare time to have a good look around.
Historically, the name comes from the HMS Coromandel, which visited in 1820 attracted by the great kauri spars of the area.
Originally the name Coromandel came from Coast of India between Calymere and Gordeware Points.
In 1852 the town experienced a boom from the discovery of gold, and examples from this time are evident still.
The gold rush is over, the great kauris are gone, now the town is a relaxed place servicing some locals and visitors who come to get away from things.
- Pros:The scenery, the islands, the coast, the quiet.
- Cons:It's a long drive, and it can really rain!!
- In a nutshell:Out of the way, with gorgeous scenery.
Driving Creek Railway is a unique one hour journey, narrow-gauge bush railway that takes you to lookout over amazing... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Coromandel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coromandel Peninsula"
- "The town on the peninsular."
- "Visits to Cormandel in 2005 and 2007"
- "Endless coast"
- "Coromandel Peninsula"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coromandel
- 3 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Coromandel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coromandel
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Can not upload photos....."
- Commented on one of kiwi's Coromandel tips
- updated a Coromandel Travelogue "Driving Creek Railway - Album #1"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Driving Creek Railway - Album #1"
- Wrote a Review Driving Creek Railway - A must see in Coromandel Things to Do
Photos in CoromandelSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues