"GLENORCHY" Top 5 Page for this destination Glenorchy by kiwi
Glenorchy Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 121 photos
The mountains are gorgeous, no matter what the weather. Glenorchy is away from the rat race and a very special place. Maoris of course were here first, but the first European settlers arrived in 1862 and begun setting up farms on the river flats. There was a brief period shortly later when the population blossomed to over 3000 with the gold rush. This was shortlived because of the poor yields and Glenorchy returned to it's tiny community. I guess you could say that it's next population boom, also very short lived, was the production team and actors of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy movies by kiwi director Peter Jackson.
Some of the names you may recognise from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, that were located in this area are:
Glenorchy is the main entry point to the Mt Aspiring National Park, and you will find a DOC (Dept of Conservation) Information office here with information on the walks and the park. Just remember the weather can change with very little notice down here and what seems like a "walk in the park" is more a "climb in the mountains" so make sure you are well prepared with equipment and clothing and food of course! ELB's are almost a must down here.
Some of the activities for you to do here are walking, jetboating, horse-riding and photography.
There is a wharf at Glenorchy, down on the lakefront. If you don't fancy the drive up the lakeside to Glenorchy why not catch the steamer ferry Earnslaw in Queenstown and steam up the lake at a relaxing pace.
For years this notorious stretch of road was still loose gravel, however it has now been 'sealed' and is much easier to drive.
I didn't see streams of cars, and although the traffic has increased, I doubt it is intolerable just yet.
There are one or two lodges up this road, that attract people wanting to get to remote corners.
- Pros:Miles away from the rest of the world.
- Cons:Can be cold and wet an inhospitable.
- In a nutshell:True Lord of the Rings country.
For something a little different, you can catch the old steamship Earnslaw and sail up the lake to Glenorchy. It leaves... more travel advice
You can go even further north than Glenorchy and find some of the locations where Lord of the Rings was filmed. Any... more travel advice
Written Jul 16, 2004
In and around Glenorchy.
Written Jan 16, 2009
The Glenorchy Road
kiwi's Related Pages
Glenorchy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~ Glenorchy - Gateway to the Routeburn Track ~"
- "A rural paradise"
- "Glenorchy, Otago."
- "My Favourite Part"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glenorchy
- Hotels in Glenorchy
- Transportation in Glenorchy
- Restaurants in Glenorchy
- Shopping in Glenorchy
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dinosaur Provincial Park Hotels
- Miami Beach
- Bad Kreuznach
- Ryton on Dunsmore Hotels
- Province of Zambales
- Dunes City Hotels
- Cortez Hotels
- Algonquin Provincial Park
- Tecumseh Hotels
- Fraser Island
- Saint Paul Hotels
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
Badges & Stats in Glenorchy
- 11 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Glenorchy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glenorchy
Photos in GlenorchySee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 116 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Glenorchy hotel reviews
- Glenorchy Holiday Park
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013