"Small settlement, worth a visit." Glentunnel by kiwi
Glentunnel Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 10 photos
This lovely little round brick building has visual appeal and history to boot! Built in 1886 it is one of only 4 old buildings in the country still being used for it's original purpose!! That is library and postal agency.
Mon - Fri 9.00am - 11.00am
Mon 6.00pm - 7.00pm
From the library you can take a walk around the historic features of Glentunnel. I'll list those features:
Museum. Built in 1908 and used to be the Odd Fellows (Lodge) Hall. Now the museum.
Railway. Opened 1875, providing vital link to Darfield, for coal, Clay, Sand, Produce and Passengers. Now closed.
Tile Brick & Pottery Works. From where the Library bricks and tiles came.
Stables.For the mine's Pit Ponies and Draft Horses.
Surveyor's Gully. Tramway line 1 1/4 miles used to pull the coal trucks out of the mine. Drafts horses did this work.
The Tunnel. Built to avoid a troublesome landowner, and to transport coal. 15 chain long.
Coalmine. Opened in 1872 and closed in 1938.
Isn't this the cutest little library you ever saw. And how amazing to find the little dog sitting patiently outside while his Mum picks a book inside. Now look also, and see that they still get their milk in bottles here, see the empty bottles in the crate waiting for the milkman to deliver!!
Between 1872 and 1938 a coal mine operated in the area providing work and no doubt contributing to the development of a settlement here. As well during the 1870's and longer, a Tile Brick and Pottery works operated, specialising in ornate chimney pots and tiles. Many of the special tiles are featured on the Library building. A fine 'advertisement' for the pottery I'm sure!!
- Pros:Quaint with a bit of history.
- Cons:No glitz, glamour or fastfoods - not a con at all!
- In a nutshell:Tiny settlement en route to the mountains.
kiwi's Related Pages
Glentunnel Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glentunnel
- 0 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (124)
Have you been to Glentunnel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glentunnel
Photos in GlentunnelSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 84 reviews, 181 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 21 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues