"Hamilton, The River City." Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton by kiwi
Hamilton Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 235 photos
The Waikato is the largest river in New Zealand, I think that means the longest. It begins at Taupo, but flows directly thru the city of Hamilton which has been built around it.
Hamilton is known as the Garden city, and also the River city.
If any of you are familiar with the show "Rocky Horror Picture Show" then you may be interested to know that guy who wrote it, Richard O'Brien, thought up a lot of ideas for the show while hairdressing in Hamilton and going to the old Embassy theatre here. Soon the city is to commemorate his being, by building a statue of Riff Raff, the character he actually played in the movie. Rumour has it that the statue will be built by Weta Productions who did all the special effects for Lord of the Rings.
Hamilton hosts an annual Balloon Fiesta which is a real spectacle around the town. Well worth checking out if you are there at the right time.
See my travelogues for more photos:
Balloons Over Waikato and Frog Balloon Gets in the Lake.
Latest Balloons Over Waikato 2005.
- Pros:Smaller city with less pressure and not too far from Auckland.
- Cons:Too far from the coast and the winter thick fogs!
- In a nutshell:This is the ignored city but those living there love it.
I came to the Agora with a friend who highly recommended the cafe. We really had a nice lunch and I was pleasantly... more travel advice
So popular it can be busy busy at lunch time, so I recommend arriving before midday. Parking can be hard if you leave it... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Hamilton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hamilton, The River City."
- "Hamilton, on the Waikato River"
- "Hamilton - The River City"
- "Hamilton student life"
- "Hamilton, Waikato Region, North Island"
- "Nine days in Hamilton"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hamilton
- Hotels in Hamilton
- Transportation in Hamilton
- Nightlife in Hamilton
- Restaurants in Hamilton
- Shopping in Hamilton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hamilton
- 21 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Hamilton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamilton
- Posted in Travel New Zealand Forum "Re: 10 day itinerary help!"
- updated a Hamilton Travel Page "Hamilton, The River City."
- Commented on one of kiwi's Hamilton tips
- Wrote a Review Cafe with a Cause about Agora Cafe in Hamilton Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cafe with a Cause"
- Commented on the Hamilton City Oaks , Hamilton travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Hamilton
Photos in HamiltonSee All Photos (124)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 85 reviews, 186 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 21 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues