"HERALD ISLAND, AUCKLAND." Herald Island by kiwi
Herald Island Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos
Near where I grew up, is this tiny island located in the upper reaches of the Auckland Harbour. Completely surrounded by tidal waters, and mangrove mudflats, it is a quiet sanctuary from the hussle and bussle of our largest city, but is only a 20 min drive to Downtown Auckland.
This photo is taken from the wharf on the Island showing how close it is to the surrounding mainland.
The old Fire Station on the Island is now an art gallery and the Post Office is a library.
There is a strong following for the Art community and the Island has regular and popular festivities.
Being an island, the only land access is this road causeway. But that means residents aren't constrained to ferry access and the time limitations that causes.
When I was at school the kids used to have to walk along the causeway and meet the school bus. We used to think they were less fortunate because of this. Now, however, the island is a very very desirable place to live, oh and now the road across the water is paved!
- Pros:Island life near the city.
- Cons:Mudflats when tide is out.
- In a nutshell:True Island life, so close to the city!
Take a drive around the island, there is a sort of ring road, it is a small island. You can see a variety of houses,... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Herald Island Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Herald Island
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Herald Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Herald Island
Photos in Herald IslandSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues