"HERALD ISLAND, AUCKLAND." Herald Island by kiwi

Herald Island Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos

Auckland's Best Kept Secret!!

Near where I grew up, is this tiny island located in the upper reaches of the Auckland Harbour. Completely surrounded by tidal waters, and mangrove mudflats, it is a quiet sanctuary from the hussle and bussle of our largest city, but is only a 20 min drive to Downtown Auckland.
This photo is taken from the wharf on the Island showing how close it is to the surrounding mainland.

The old Fire Station on the Island is now an art gallery and the Post Office is a library.
There is a strong following for the Art community and the Island has regular and popular festivities.

Being an island, the only land access is this road causeway. But that means residents aren't constrained to ferry access and the time limitations that causes.
When I was at school the kids used to have to walk along the causeway and meet the school bus. We used to think they were less fortunate because of this. Now, however, the island is a very very desirable place to live, oh and now the road across the water is paved!

• Pros:Island life near the city.
  • Cons:Mudflats when tide is out.
  • In a nutshell:True Island life, so close to the city!
  • Intro Updated Nov 30, 2012

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2006 at 6:21 PM

I'll certainly be adding photos to my Waiheke page eventually....I managed to take a couple of hundred during my day trip ;-) Herald Island certainly is a well kept secret....I'm pretty sure it didn't get any coverage in my guidebook!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2004 at 3:02 PM

I will have to check on my maps where is Herald island. I need to know where places are? I hope that it will soon be introduced on VT.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2003 at 5:06 PM

Kiwifruit cont. -- where the vines first fruited in 1910. All New Zealand kiwifruit varieties are now believed to be descended from those first vines. I think it was first marketed as Chinese Gooseberries.

kiwi Visits Here Frequently!

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Herald Island

Have you been to Herald Island?

Latest Activity in Herald Island