"Kekerengu, the gem on the East Coast." Kekerengu by kiwi
Kekerengu Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 20 photos
Kekerengu is around 50 kms south of Blenheim on the main State Highway 1. It's on the East Coast, right by the sea. Look out there over the horizon and you would see South America next if you could!! So it's the edge of the mighty Pacific.
This spot is magical, a long way away from the rest of the world.
Another approx 45 kms along the coastal road and you get to Kaikoura, the popular whalewatching destination. But between Kekerengu and Kaikoura, you can stop at Ohau Point and view the bull seals.
Here you find the old Post Office has been rebuilt into the most wonderful Café, called THE STORE.
Owned and run by a local family, Richard & Susan MacFarlane, who live and own a sheep station across the road up in the hills. This was the last piece of oceanside land available in this area for such a venture. The same family have a lovely garden open for some of the year to visitors.
They have used gorgeous local style and cuisine for The Store. This is a Must Stop place!! I can never never drive past.
The decore inside is worth the stop, not to mention the food and of course the chance to sit outside and take in the sights and smells of the ocean.
In the winter time this is a nice resting spot to warm up and spend some time in front of the lovely interior fireplace they have.
Let them sleep in peace, without worrying about us two-legged creatures. They really do love to sunbathe. And they smell... more travel advice
Please don't try to get this close, I used a telephoto lens from the viewing area. Wherever you are in coastal New... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Kekerengu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A one shop stop with a few Seals"
- "Kekerengu, the gem on the East Coast."
- "Service with a Snarl"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kekerengu
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Kekerengu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kekerengu
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Just updating all before..."
- updated a Kekerengu Travel Page "Kekerengu, the gem on the East Coast."
- Commented on one of fishandchips's Kekerengu travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kekerengu, the gem on the East Coast."
- Wrote a Review Sunbathing seals. in Kekerengu Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues