"LAKE MANAPOURI - DOUBTFUL SOUND" Lake Manapouri by kiwi

Lake Manapouri Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 25 photos

This is a very special, very photogenic, isolated lake with a coloured history. Being located in Fiordland, an area carved by glaciers, Lake Manapouri is extremembly deep. This lake was saved by protest and action against the plans of a government who, in 1972, were brought down by the issue that reached every corner of the country. It was planned to raise the lake to feed a hydro-electric power scheme. A new scheme was devised and is operational now, with the lake still undisturbed. The water is taken from the lake and fed 10 kms via a tailrace and turbines to Doubtful Sound 200 mtrs below.

Lake Manapouri is the lake you must cross to get access to Doubtful Sound on the South West coast of New Zealand.
See my travelogue below to journey with me to Doubtful Sound and a truly magical part of the country.

The Lake has 35 islands within it making very picturesque scenery. The islands are covered in forest as are most of the surrounding hills.

• Intro Written Sep 11, 2002

• thetravelling.kiwi's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

There's no doubting Doubtful Sound, it's one of my favourite places in Fiordland.

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Doubtful Sound was my favourite part of New Zealand. Unfortunately my camera was stolen in Chile and I lost all my memories of this wonderful place. At least I have access to pages like yours to jog my memory! Thanks for sharing. Brian

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I miss NZ, what a wonderful place to be

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Hi, Pam! Thanx for your nice pages! Good luck! <::>

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Done the power station twice and up Doubtful sound - certainly one of the top beauty spots in NZ - thanks for your refresher tips!susan has www.startrekcharters.co.nz if you into fishing the Coromandel or catching up on interests in common?!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 10:46 PM

I will make it a point to visit beautiful Doubtful Sound if I were to go back to New Zealand in the future!

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM

This place so reminds me of Chilko Lake in BC. The majesty of it all.

• SanguiniA's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 10:39 AM

Keas :-))) Mischievous birds caught in a mischievous pose. Nice little page Pam :-)

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2005 at 7:41 PM

thanks for sharing. first time I've heard of this place. : )

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 3:03 AM

Been there, didn't do the fishing though. That would be an awesome place to cast a line.

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Lake Manapouri

Have you been to Lake Manapouri?

Latest Activity in Lake Manapouri