"MAYOR ISLAND - TUHUA" Mayor Island by kiwi
Mayor Island Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
Situated in the Bay of Plenty this island is now a wildlife refuge. The distinctive out line can be seen from all along the coastline. This photo was taken on 1 June 2006 from the summit of Mt Maunganui.
Mayor Island is the tip of a volcano, that fortunately hasn't erupted for a very long time. Known by the Maori people as "Tuhua" it's highest point is 354metres above sea level and it's area measures 1277 hectares. One feature of the island is the very attractive black obsidian, volcanic glass, found in the rocks and traditionally used by Maori for cutting tools.
Some of the birds found here now are: kaka, fantail, bellbirds, tui, and wood pigeons, morepork, grey warbler, waxeye, kingfisher, pied tit and harrier hawk. The Shining cuckoo is a surprise resident if you are lucky enough to see one!
It is hoped to introduce Kiwi to Mayor Island in the future much to everyone's delight.
This is also a very popular and lovely place for diving, mainly due to the water clarity as it is far enough from civilisation to be free of pollution. You are permitted to go walking on the island, if you can get out there. Mayor is 26 kilometers from the mainland.
kiwi's Related Pages
Mayor Island Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mayor Island
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Mayor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mayor Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues