"MT ASPIRING NATIONAL PARK" Mount Aspiring National Park by kiwi
Mount Aspiring National Park Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 59 photos
Mt Aspiring is the snowy peak to the right. We weren't doing an ascent of the mountain, but were heading up the valleys to be near the base camp area. The river branches and we have the East and West Matukituki valleys.
Mt Aspiring National Park is a part of the region called West Coast. This feels wierd as Matukituki is on the Eastern side of the mountain range, and we tend to think of the West Coast as being West of the mountains. However, that is not the case.
The NP has approx 100 glaciers remaining from the almost complete coverage 20000 years ago. I trekked up to view two of these glaciers, and some of our group went higher and closer. I tend to know my limitations and don't extend too much. But the view I had was equally as impressive and awe-inspiring.
We returned to the Mt Aspiring National Park, this time with a Tramping Club, to spend 4 nights and 5 days exploring. What a wonderful place this is. We had mixed weather but generally it was great. Thankfully it didn't get too cold, and was milder than usual at this time of year. River crossings are a regular part of life down here, however the river can change and be calm one minute and raging the next. A high degree of respect is necessary for the river, mountains and weather down here.
We stayed up the East Matukituki Valley ...under the mountains, for Easter, 2006.
- Pros:The remote mountains, the sky and the rivers.
- Cons:Can be dangerous if the weather changes quickly.
- In a nutshell:BIG Country, Gorgeous mountains, Amazing scenery.
In Mt Aspiring National Park, at various places, there are signs asking visitors not to feed the Keas. These are the... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Mount Aspiring National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MT ASPIRING NATIONAL PARK"
- "Last Visit in December 2005"
- "Mnt Aspiring National Park-The Siberia Experience"
- "Natural Beauty"
- "From rainforest to high country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Aspiring National Park
- Transportation in Mount Aspiring National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Aspiring National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Aspiring National Park
- 2 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Mount Aspiring National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Aspiring National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Features Today!"
- updated a Mount Aspiring National Park Travel Page "MT ASPIRING NATIONAL PARK"
- Commented on one of Jaap53's Mount Aspiring National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Photos of this Amazing National Park"
- Wrote a Review Please Don't Feed the Keas! in Mount Aspiring National Park Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Mount Aspiring National ParkSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 85 reviews, 186 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 21 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues