"MT ASPIRING NATIONAL PARK" Mount Aspiring National Park by kiwi

Mt Aspiring

Mt Aspiring is the snowy peak to the right. We weren't doing an ascent of the mountain, but were heading up the valleys to be near the base camp area. The river branches and we have the East and West Matukituki valleys.
Mt Aspiring National Park is a part of the region called West Coast. This feels wierd as Matukituki is on the Eastern side of the mountain range, and we tend to think of the West Coast as being West of the mountains. However, that is not the case.
The NP has approx 100 glaciers remaining from the almost complete coverage 20000 years ago. I trekked up to view two of these glaciers, and some of our group went higher and closer. I tend to know my limitations and don't extend too much. But the view I had was equally as impressive and awe-inspiring.

Check my Travelogues below for photos of our treks.

Just visited again in 2006.

We returned to the Mt Aspiring National Park, this time with a Tramping Club, to spend 4 nights and 5 days exploring. What a wonderful place this is. We had mixed weather but generally it was great. Thankfully it didn't get too cold, and was milder than usual at this time of year. River crossings are a regular part of life down here, however the river can change and be calm one minute and raging the next. A high degree of respect is necessary for the river, mountains and weather down here.

East Matukituki Valley

We stayed up the East Matukituki Valley ...under the mountains, for Easter, 2006.

• Pros:The remote mountains, the sky and the rivers.
  • Cons:Can be dangerous if the weather changes quickly.
  • In a nutshell:BIG Country, Gorgeous mountains, Amazing scenery.
  • Last visit to Mount Aspiring National Park: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2009

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I'll certainly add this park to our packed itinerary :~)

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Great photos and tips on Mt Aspiring National Park, this is indeed a very beautiful place!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Ive been blessed to have travelled a lot of the South Is already - such a very beautiful country - nice to see your pics and tips - excellent tour around that half of NZ thanks!

• Jaap53's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2004 at 6:38 AM

We did the Siberia Experience in the Mount Aspiring National Park. It was more than wonderful. Look at my special site http:/groups.msn.com/JaapEnSonjaNZ for 24 photo's of that day. Jaap53 from the Netherlands.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2004 at 4:18 AM

we did some walking inthe park - was wonderful!

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Mount Aspiring National Park

Have you been to Mount Aspiring National Park?