"Wild, wet and black sand!" Muriwai Beach by kiwi
Muriwai Beach Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 6 photos
I spent a lot of time at Muriwai Beach in my formative years, as it was were my friends and I loved to go on our weekends.
The mere nature of this coast, can only be described as Wild. One of the main problems facing authorities here is the erosion caused by the violent storms from the Tasman Sea, both wind and water are eating away at the coastal dunes causing major problems.
Muriwai is very popular for the fabulous surfer waves that roll in onto the jet black sand. In fact, 9.5kms of beach here.
Remember if you visit during the hot summer months, this black sand (iron sand) is extremely hot and will surely burn the soles of your feet. Particularly take care to protect the young tender feet of children.
Features include a Gannet colony, camp ground, surf beach, golf course and activities range from fishing from the rocks to beach horse riding. There is sometimes freedom to drive on the beach, however this requires a 4wd vehicle and plenty of experience at this kind of terrain. Frequently vehicles are "gobbled" by the tide and lost. The beach is a place to be respected when visiting, whether you are swimming or driving or boating etc.
The Muriwai Golf course is reknown for it's beauty and is a very popular links course.
You can view my video of the birds soaring beside their nests by clicking on the video tab near the top of the page.
You can get very close to this rock with it's gannet colony. And more nests directly below the viewing platform.
- Pros:Great surf, gannets and amazing black sand.
- Cons:Wind, black sand and erosion.
- In a nutshell:Wild wet and woolly!
kiwi's Related Pages
Muriwai Beach Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Muriwai Beach
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Muriwai Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muriwai Beach
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues