"LAKE OHAU" Lake Ohau by kiwi
Lake Ohau Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 35 photos
Ohau - Place of Hau; Place of wind.
Lake Ohau is a fun adventure full place to visit. Located in the area known as the MacKenzie Basin, this is a must see. En route from Christchurch to Queenstown on Highway 8, Lake Ohau is near Twizel. Created by glacial retreat, the lake is 60km2.
Some activities you can take part in here are trout fishing, skiing, gliding, mountain biking, sailing and climbing, trekking and hiking. The best way to see this area is by air. You can arrange flights from Tekapo. For gliding you must go to Omarama airfield to the South of Ohau.
Here is the view from the verandah of Lake Ohau Lodge. This place is popular with skiers and the family owners of the Lodge also own and operate the boutique skifield nearby. NZ's smallest but by no means insignificant skifield.
This is indeed a unique and special place.
"OHAU: Where time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana."
This quote was so memorable and maybe not at all understandable, that they printed it on the sweatshirts sold at the Lodge.
Temple Forest is situated at the north end of Lake Ohau. It is a predominently Beech forest and the trees are very old for this part of the world. You need to drive past the head of the lake and the picnic area is signposted. There is a carpark and a shelter hut at the entrance to the track. Be sure to write your intentions in the book before you head into the forest. Remember here the weather can change in a very short time and without notice. The weather can be extreme here at any time of year and be prepared for all conditions.
- Pros:The scenery is stunning, the skiing divine and the Lake is gorgeous.
- Cons:The weather conditions can change very quickly and this is an isolated location.
- In a nutshell:From the mountains to the sky, you can reach them all.
The river is mean and dangerous. It looks small and insignificant, however it is fast and wild! And these rivers can... more travel advice
Take care on the roads down here. The animals, mostly sheep, have priority. more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Lake Ohau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LAKE OHAU"
- "A Hidden Gem not too far from the Beaten Path"
- "LAKE OHAU"
- "Lake Ohau Lodge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Ohau
- Hotels in Lake Ohau
- Transportation in Lake Ohau
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Ohau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Ohau
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Lake Ohau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Ohau
Photos in Lake OhauSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues