"Raglan, Jewel of the West Coast." Raglan by kiwi
Raglan Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 90 photos
A wild west coast beach with a lazy, quaint town attached.
The coast is rough and relentless, and the sand is dark, hot, black ironsand.
RAGLAN is the region of Waikato's oldest town being settled by Europeans back in the 1830's. It was named after Lord Raglan.
These days Raglan is a vibrant small town with a mix of artists, musicians, surfers and farm people among the population. The main town area with a traditional old Pub and really nice kiwi cafés can be quite lively at times, and very enjoyable.
Surfers come to experience the so-called longest left hand break in the world. Many contest are held here.
Most summers the gliding club spends around 2 weeks flying at Raglan . There is often an opportunity to take a trial flight at the airfield next to a motorcamp and it's fun to fly up the coast or around Mt Karioi. Raglan is a lovely town to view from above, so don't miss this chance.
Flying gives a great way to see the coast, and the sea. Soaring thrives on the ridge created by the coast, but of course, having no motor, the direction and time is restricted.
We go to Raglan to buy lambs from time to time, and you can see some photos of this in the travelogues, here.
- Pros:The waves are some of the finest.
- Cons:Black sand sticks like glue and never get it in your hair!!
- In a nutshell:Dramatic, Coastal, Exciting!!
Nice sunny both indoors and out. Nice street tables and plenty of room inside for winter dining. Great espresso... more travel advice
Dogs are not allowed on the footpaths in town during the day. This restriction is from 8am to 6pm and the fine if caught... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Raglan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Raglan
- Hotels in Raglan
- Restaurants in Raglan
- Warnings and Dangers in Raglan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Raglan
- 10 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Raglan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Raglan
Photos in RaglanSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (310)
Latest Raglan hotel reviews
- Karioi Lodge
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013