"Tirau, on the way to Rotorua and Taupo." Tirau by kiwi
Tirau Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 118 photos
Tirau is a very interesting small town that services the traffic passing through. Located on State Highway 1 where it also converges with St Hwy 5 & Prov St Hwy 27, it has a lot of vehicles passing bye.
A great marketing and development job has been done on Tirau and here you can see the Information Office shaped like a sheep dog and the Wool/Souvenier shop shaped like a sheep.
A must see place to have your photo taken!! The Sheep was built in 1994, and the Dog in 1998 followed by a trend to have corrugated iron signs all around town.
Originally called Oxford, it's name was changed in 1895 to Tirau. Probably to avoid confusion with Oxford down in Canterbury, South Island.
Ti = Cabbage Tree, rau = many.
So Tirau is the place of many Cabbage Trees!
This town has become revitalised over recent years, and has developed into an oasis of a stop for the passing vehicles. It is situated on State Hwy One, therefore has a lot of traffic passing through. Seemed only logical to harness this flow of people and attract them to stop and spend some of their money!
The shops are so interesting and varied, almost something for everyone within a short walk of the car.
Another point of interest in Tirau is the common style of sign which most businesses have embraced, in the corrugated iron medium.
Here is the church in the main street of Tirau. It's large (for a small town) has development out the back, is well used and brings the community together.
I have dedicated this photo to vt member "craic".
- Pros:Really nice cafés and shops.
- Cons:A lot of traffic.
- In a nutshell:A fine place to stop on your journey.
Private collection of Dolls, Toys and Royal Albert China well displayed in this unique castle built to house... more travel advice
There is no bank branch in Tirau. However at the Caltex petrol station, right in the middle of town, there is a money... more travel advice
Written Sep 27, 2005
Alley Cats Café.
Written Dec 9, 2006
Some photos around town.
kiwi's Related Pages
Tirau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stop at Tirau ~ don't just drive through!"
- "Tirau, on the way to Rotorua and Taupo."
- "Tirau - a small town with a lot of antiques shops!"
- "What corrugated iron can do for your town"
- "Tirau - almost in the middle of nowhere"
- "The corrugated iron town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tirau
- 7 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Tirau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tirau
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: How do I unfollow a place?"
- updated a Tirau Travel Page "Tirau, on the way to Rotorua and Taupo."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stop for coffee and take a break from shopping."
- Commented on one of allikat's Tirau travel pages
- Wrote a Review Castle Pamela about Castle Pamela in Tirau Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 34 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 118 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues