"Tongariro National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park by kiwi
Tongariro National Park Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 218 photos
There are three mountains here, Mt Ruapehu, Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe. Mt Ruapehu is the location of the main skifields for the North Island. The crater lake on Ruapehu is filling after the 95/96 eruptions, and it is expected there will be a lahar (mudflow) some time in the next 3 years.
This region features in the Peter Jackson movie, Lord of the Rings. Especially Mt Ngauruhoe with it's cone like shape, which features as Mt Doom in Mordor.
Tongariro National Park is divided and located in two regions, Taupo region and Manawatu/Wanganui region.
This is the volcanic plateau after all, so it's not unusual to find a conical shaped mountain. Mt Ngauruhoe is the one that most looks like a real volcano. Here it is during summer with no snow, but a lot of the year it has a lovely white cap, that glistens in the sunlight.
One popular and fairly accessible activity here is the Tongariro Crossing. This is a mountain trek, taking around 8 hrs to complete, with no holdups. Most lodges in Taupo can shuttle you here, and you make your own way over the path.
Remember that it is a mountain and even in midsummer, the weather can go very bad in extremely short time. So go well clothed, with waterproof gear, and some water and food. You just may have to stay longer than originally planned, if the weather does turn.
There are some really nice views on the crossing including these lovely coloured lakes.
You can read more and see more photos about The Tongariro Crossing on my National Park page.
- Pros:The stunning views.
- Cons:Can get very cold!
- In a nutshell:The Volcanic Plateau, looking something like the surface of the moon.
During the summer months you can climb to the crater rim of Mt Ruapehu. Of course you can do this in the winter as well,... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Tongariro National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tongariro Crossing"
- " Tongariro National Park "
- "Welcome to Mordor! I mean Tongariro National Park"
- "Tongariro National Park"
- "Tongariro National Park"
- "A.K.A. Mordor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tongariro National Park
- Hotels in Tongariro National Park
- Transportation in Tongariro National Park
- Nightlife in Tongariro National Park
- Restaurants in Tongariro National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Tongariro National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tongariro National Park
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Tongariro National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tongariro National Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Video Upload"
- Commented on the Tongariro National Park travel guide
- updated a Tongariro National Park Travel Page "Tongariro National Park"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tongariro National Park"
- Commented on one of allikat's Tongariro National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Climb an active volcano. in Tongariro National Park Things to Do
Photos in Tongariro National ParkSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues