"Ride the Wave Cloud in a modern Glider." Waharoa by kiwi
Waharoa Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 18 photos
New Zealand is known by the Maori as Aoteoroa, the land of the long white cloud. Here is the reason. Our lenticular clouds are so very long, a little unlike those found in other countries that are usually much shorter, and possibly multi layered.
Here at Waharoa, at the Matamata Airfield, is found a gliding club that has been riding these waveclouds for many years.
This is the middle photo of the same wave cloud. Ironically, the cloud is way too high for the gliders to access, and they wait on the ground for conditions to improve so they can expect to stay aloft and complete a day's task. This was the National Gliding Contest at the time.
And this is the southern end photo of the cloud that day. If you enlarge the photo you can see the gliders all lined up awaiting the power planes to tow them up into the air.
Rather open plan, can be hard to hear. Open for lunch to the public. They do dinners for organised groups. Really... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Waharoa Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Waharoa
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Waharoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waharoa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues